What dev-related stuff have you been up to?

Since I won a year of free subscription to AppSignal (thank you!), I want to say that I’ve been working on integrating AppSignal to my translation bot project but realistically, the integration was a five minute process :sweat_smile: Very smooth onboarding experience!

3 Likes

Checking different types of animations in Js. Got to know about a new function requestAnimationFrame. Pretty nice function :v:t2:

3 Likes

Can you explain what’s anime streaming app?

2 Likes

I’ve decided not to implement any more features to my translation bot until I set up proper infrastructure for the project. Already added module and function documentations, typespecs, now working through my test suite – so far, I could raise my coverage from ~35% to ~62%, but now I need to figure out how to test modules that are using my API client modules to reach third party services :face_with_monocle:

To clarify, I could re-write my API clients (that use the amazing Tesla library) to be testable (using Bypass), but I’m not sure how to “push the cart” a bit more and make also the modules that directly invoke those API clients to be testable… I feel like I’m missing something obvious…

3 Likes

Hey this is awesome! Immediately guessed you’re a dev in Japan once you mentioned LINE :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Trying to find an terminal based editor that supports vscode based plugins - I’ve used vim in the past, but my current config is too messy, and not sure if I should just redo it from scratch.

3 Likes

Haha, right? LINE definitely is one of those Japan-specific things that are rarely used in other countries – but at least unlike other Japan-specific quirks, this one is not bad :sweat_smile: (Well, setting up a second LINE account without having a second device was a bit of a pain, but…)

I’m looking at you, bank books and ATMs with opening hours :expressionless:

3 Likes

One more update from me! In the past few days, I was working on a feature that allows LINE in-message emojis to survive the translation process and be included in appropriate parts of the message after the text of the message is translated. I’m super happy not only with how it turned out, but especially with two aspects of the development:

• Since I knew what the input looks like (for example, a message might arrive with looking like {"text": "Hello world! (ok sign)", "emojis": [{"productId": "…", "emojiId": "…", "index": 13, "length": 9}]}, where (ok sign) is LINE emoji marker and I knew what the output must look like (something like { "text": "Ahoj světe! $", "emojis": [{"productId": "…", "emojiId": "…", "index": 12}]}, with $ being the emoji marker to be replaced on LINE’s side), this was a prime opportunity to start with a bunch of failing tests first, only followed with an implementation later. And anytime I encountered any issue with the process during user testing, I first created a quick test to highlight the issue and only fixed it later. I wish I had time/allocation to do this kind of TDD in my daily work!
  • And I could do the escaping prior to translation/unescaping after translation process without a single loop, just utilizing pattern matching and recursion. It felt great! :partying_face:
2 Likes

@brentjanderson, thank you very much for sharing your twisty way to improve the quality of information processing and how to synthesize new connections.
Foam at first glance, seems to be quite convenient. I will definitely try to use it for my self-education purposes. I use VS Code in everyday life while learning, researching, editing (formatting) and exploring.

2 Likes

If you like foam, you may find Dendron even better. I switched to Dendron and wrote about what made me want to switch. I don’t plan on switching away from Dendron anytime soon.

4 Likes

@brentjanderson, thank your for the Dendron description and notes about positive experience. Yes. Idea, structure are the same as Foam but with a lot of tuning. I hope Dendon learning path will not be long and tortuous.

Note that Dendron github repository is actively developed. Cool.

There is video tutorials for Dendron newcomers too:

2 Likes

Currently watching tutorials/videos on API Design.

3 Likes

Arrrrgghhhhh I’ve just been trying to update Devtalk to the latest Rails version and did it go smoothly? Did it heck :joy:

Done now tho.

Upgrade to Ruby 3 next :rofl:

3 Likes

Lol, are you not using their docker setup?

I have my discourse forums using split docker instances, so the database in one image, the front-end in another, the redis and such processor in yet another. Makes it easy to, for example, upgrade the front-end while the site is still up then swap the old one with the new then take down and delete the old once I’ve confirmed no issues, I.E. no downtime and all. It runs using their stack at that point and whatever it recommends. ^.^

3 Likes

For the forum yes… but not for the frontpage/portals :nerd_face:

All updated now - to latest Rails and latest Ruby :smiley: (it wasn’t too bad in the end, there were some changes to Dalli and a few notes needed updating, but all sorted now. I am still looking forward to deploying a Phoenix app as I imagine it would be a lot simpler - here’s hoping anyway :joy:)

2 Likes

Ah you don’t use Discourse’s module system to build the other parts of the site? I’ve found them pretty useful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No I haven’t seen their module system, do you have any links?

Part of the reason I have kept them separate is because one side could easily be swapped out - so for instance if we wanted to expand the custom front-end to include commenting/a forum and drop Discourse, we could :smiley: (and vice versa).

1 Like

When making plugins you can make new top level ‘modules’, which on the URL path appear where the t is in this topic, allowing you to make new top level displays to display whatever you want using the information in the forum and its database.

If you plan to swap things out though then separate is often better. ^.^

1 Like

Been having to dig into some small C++ code again the past couple of days. This is after 2+ decades of not looking at C++ at all…and now I remember exactly why… :grimacing:

5 Likes

That’s me when I’m told to do something I don’t want to! :rofl:

You might also like this - computer says no sketch from Little Britain :joy:

4 Likes