What dev-related stuff have you been up to?

Working on a Mind Mapping focused Project Management System. Elixir, Phoenix, LiveView and DGraph.

Learning wise, I am trying to learn Rust, this probably is my 9/10th attempt but I am hopeful this time.

Oh and changed job too.

6 Likes

I’ve been compiling a lot of thoughts on application and system architecture for work, and while it might just be a rehashing of a lot of things shared in other places, it’s helped me come to a clear view on how all applications (especially enterprise line-of-business applications) can be architected.

Something along the lines of “imperative shell, functional core”, and the big realization that all too often we put databases at the bottom of our stack instead of the side. The core of our most important systems should be pure functions, and not an external dependency on a database.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good topic for a blog post Brent :nerd:

1 Like

One of the most discussed topics in the erlang community :smiley:

If you think adding static typing to the beam is hard then you don’t know what you are in for.

https://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2014-February/077229.html

Some prominent names trying to solve this. Good luck! :smiley:

5 Likes

Planning to translate textbooks about Elixir and Phoenix into Chinese.

6 Likes

I moved a site from Azure to render.com which I like a lot so far, it’s much cheaper and super easy, and does exactly what i wanted :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds like a cool topic for a dedicated thread… shall we split into one? :nerd_face:

2 Likes

A thread for types on the BEAM is very interesting for sure, I know some of the history but not that much.

4 Likes

Done :smiley:

Also reckon we should have a thread about general naming in Erlang? I think many people find some of the naming a bit jarring because so much of it was named decades ago, independently; with the Erlang team quietly doing their own thing while the rest of the world got on with their own stuff :laughing:

3 Likes

Right now I try to finish my book (reading again for a last time) and re-start my blog.

3 Likes

The other day I fired up Expo.io (If you haven’t seen it, it’s basically “React Native: The Good Parts”) to mess around with a Dog Owner app idea. It would help you track exercise, meals, water, sleep, accidents, and training. Potentially have a feed of articles/snippets for new dog owners (like myself) to learn as your puppy grows, and maybe even have a community for dow owners to swap tips and ask questions.

Not sure if I’m going to flesh it out, but I’m inclined to keep it simple and use Firebase (even though I’ve been burned by it in the past).

4 Likes

While in work zoom meetings that “mostly” don’t concern me, except when they do, I’ve been learning a few rust libraries by making a little mini game, been interesting.

2 Likes

I recently learned about Zettelkasten and I’ve started building my own with Foam which has been interesting. I’m getting into the habit of collecting notes and ideas from what I read and study into a single, well-linked, flexible knowledge base.

As I get into this more, I’m also tempted to write some tooling to import snippets from it into Readwise for review.

5 Likes

Just finished the first rollout of a covid contract tracing system I built at the college I work at, super busy past few weeks, mostly not in coding but in getting everything set up. ^.^;

4 Likes

I’ve kept up on my Zettelkasten! Foam is pretty good, although it has some quirks (e.g. I’d prefer to link to things using IDs but the tooling around that and labeling isn’t the best).

I’ve started having some thoughts around building in a few other personal tools, like a personal CRM, into this thing, inspired in part by Mira. Essentially each person would get their own note, with links and the like, but I could also layer in semantic details to provide more meaning in the connections between notes (e.g. attaching birthdays, companies people have worked for, etc.)

That might still work if I create a note for the other side, and then annotate the connection as I like.

3 Likes

Not only can use the laser scanners to scan ID’s for the tracking system I built above, but also can scan via a video stream now too, fully mobile friendly website (a phone scans faster than the laser scanner now interestingly!).

2 Likes

I am currently finalizing an internal project for my company. A Kanban system exclusively for sales and service management via WhatsApp. I am using Phoenix LiveView for this application :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been building ‘yet-another’ Rust ECS library (a port of my old C++ 90’s ECS) in the very little free time that I get… ^.^;

4 Likes

Lately I’ve seen the keyword “Rust” pop up more and more, so maybe I should finally see why everyone likes it so much? :thinking:

3 Likes

learning Phoenix by building uber simple pexel-like site

4 Likes