What dev-related stuff have you been up to?

Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!?

If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’ve been up to! :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!?

If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’ve been up to! :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Currently trying to ‘master’ Rust, it’s nice but there are a few things about it that makes it feel like C++ pre-11 era templates (lack of variable template expansions / splicing, and the lack of GAT’s is surprisingly painful), but making great strides porting old C++ libraries I use for the purposes of learning it! ^.^

6 Likes

Currently learning Elixir and Phoenix.

I also just started a new job, where I’m working a lot with the Elastic Stack, Big Query, JavaScript/React, and D3. It’s been challenging as I’m new to most of it, with the exception of JavaScript/React.

5 Likes

Similar to @OvermindDL1, also trying to gradually learn Rust. And since educational projects aren’t the best way to become good in a language (IMO), I figured I’ll merge one older idea of mine with learning Rust:

When I get a free hour here and there, I invest in making an sqlite3 database connector and Ecto 3.x adapter in Elixir with the native sqlite3 DB code being in Rust (through the rusqlite crate). It has been quite interesting so far and it immediately tested my skills and assumptions and made me bang my head against the wall for a bit. :smiley:

Looking forward to eventually make the library happen and give it away to the Elixir community.

5 Likes

I’m currently working at learning Rust and PEGs (parsing expression grammar) by building a very simple scripting language that will transpile into bash code. I have been using the pest lib to build the parser and I’m having great results so far.

It’s more of a fun project than anything serious but I have wanted to learn both of these things for some time now so why not both at once :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I recently switched my workplace and somehow ended up as a frontend developer.

But personally I will stay with Elixir. Actually, I don’t code much in my free time anymore, but I have one bigger project for this year. I aim to build a night vision streaming camera using a Raspberry Pi Zero M and the Nerves Framework. I already got all the hardware parts.

7 Likes

I’m currently investigating Gleam.
Over the years I’ve hear a lot of people say “wouldn’t types on the beam be great”. This seems like the best chance we have of getting that.

Built some pieces of a Gleam version of OTP and a web framework.
Most pressing issue thing of a better name than OTP, which really wont mean anything to do with telecoms if ported over

6 Likes

I’ve been getting into packaging software for Slackware, so I’ve had to sharpen up my shell scripting skills.

3 Likes

Finally I decided to work an MVP in Elixir to force me to learn Elixir, Phoenix and Live View.

It has been a fun experience :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Doesn’t gleam have access to the Erlang version of OTP? Would this be the equivalent of how the OTP building blocks are exposed in Elixir with a more language-appropriate API?

2 Likes

I’m nearing the end of a design phase for a distributed e-commerce application using Elixir OTP & Phoenix which will ultimately scale hardware and services in real time using Terraform and Kubernetes.

4 Likes

I’ve started to dig into Linux sysadmin topics. The whole area of actually setting up a machine, configuring a proper network, and keeping everything up-to-date and secure while automating most (if not all of this) has been a big blindspot of mine in these past years.

To not blindly learn random things I made it my goal to use a bunch of Raspberry Pis (or ODROIDS) and cluster them using Kubernetes or Nomad, and to do this from scratch (install OS, network etc). I assume that this will touch on all the relevant topics. It’s also a great basis for the homelab I’ve always wanted to build to run a media center and more.

7 Likes

I’ve had a look at that approach as well, but I’ve ended up with the opinion that it is best to slightly change some of the OTP semantics. GenServer is a very general abstraction that is hard to usefully add types too

3 Likes

I’m investing more time into developing and improving kaffy and trying to get really deep into ecto. Learned a lot about postgresql in the process. Also planning on developing kaffy full-time and exploring ways to make that viable financially.

I’m glad @dimitarvp is working on a sqlite adapter for ecto since I’m trying to provide support for other databases as well including sqlite and mysql/mariadb.

5 Likes

At the moment I’m working on some new features for the ex_sieve library. These will include predicates validation based on ecto field type and more configuration parameters.

3 Likes

I’m currently getting getting up to spend with the changes in macOS 11 and iOS 14. Also, I’m starting to learn the new changes to both Swift and SwiftUI.

4 Likes

I’ve got a plan to get TiddlyWiki working with a Phoenix server, with authentication to allow live modifications instead of pushing GitHub updates. Hopefully not too difficult to do, but I’ll need to dig into it to figure it out.
Or I may attempt to make something close to it with LiveView that creates a similar experience…

5 Likes

I’ve been working on a hobby project built using the excellent Commanded framework for a while to play around with event sourcing. www.quiltedmemoir.com isn’t launched yet, but it’s been fun to work on and try new things.

4 Likes

Rereading my excessively large collection of Elixir e-books from Pragprog, and watching the free LiveView video course. About to start a new project using Commanded, LiveView, and a lot of external APIs. Not paying work, just keeping myself up-to-date and exercising the (very) grey cells. Should be starting a paying gig shortly, assuming I get my PR to Canada some day soon. It’ll be using these technologies.

5 Likes