What dev machine do you have?

Thats been a big issue for me… I am wanting to buy a high resolution monitor, but the shops never have that 30" or 40" ish ones :frowning:

I am afraid of spending a huge sum in a monitor that I may not like the image.

1 Like

Dell make some excellent monitors and have a really good return policy so I wouldn’t let that worry you. I have sent monitors back with dead pixels and they’ve swapped them out no fuss. They also price match so if you see someone else selling one of their monitors cheaper they will match the price - their customer service has been excellent in my experience and they often give you extended warranties (ask them even if they’re not included on their standard pricing). Definitely one of the better companies out there imo :+1:

2 Likes

That is good to know, but my first concern is that I may not like the image quality, colors, and how a 40" ish high resolution screen looks like when used as 2/3 or 4 monitors, aka when you use the screen spitted as if they were physical monitors.

2 Likes

That’s just standard HiDPI on any other OS. That’s a 2X HiDPI scaling, you can go lower or higher, like 1.5X is popular on some monitors, but some even go higher. “Retina” is just an apple-world that sounds fancy but isn’t. HiDPI is very common.

1 Like

Yeah I know, but I haven’t seen it done as well as the Apple displays which tells me that there’s some secret sauce somewhere. Or maybe I haven’t looked at modern HiDPI scaling applied to modern displays, dunno.

2 Likes

What do you mean by ‘not as well’? I don’t have much experience on apple products so I can’t really compare, so can you describe precisely? ^.^

2 Likes

I really can’t describe it well, man. When you look at a web page in macOS with a proper Retina display, it’s just… like somebody has flawlessly hand-drawn all the letters – I can’t see any pixels.

I too was skeptical throughout almost all my career about it and thought people only love the prestige that the fruit brand [supposedly] gave them. I only have a MacBook Pro for 2.5 years and my iMac Pro is only 10 months old.

But yeah, if you see a good Apple display you’ll definitely want to have the same in Linux. :slight_smile:

My company’s Lenovo T490 is really good at font rendering you as said it would be (Ubuntu 20.04 + GNOME 3) even at 1920x1080. And I bet for many it would be enough. But it’s not as good as an Apple display.

I trust you not to take for me for an Apple shill but some things you have to experience to appreciate. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s pretty usual with HiDPI on higher multipliers like 2X or more though? And the letter drawing itself would be handled by the browser regardless for a web page.

1 Like

Well, I meant that the letter look hand-drawn and no pixels are visible. And I can see pixels even on the very crisp display of the T490.

2 Likes

Sounds more like monitor differences. Seeing pixels is most often an issue with the ‘screen door effect’, higher quality helps.

1 Like

Well, that’s exactly what was discussed here! That the Apple displays are better which clearly falls under “monitor differences”. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Lol, that’s not apple exclusive by far though. ^.^

1 Like

…no, but they are probably currently leading - 5K displays at 27", 6K at 32" (not to mention all their other features of colour accuracy/spectrum etc). I don’t think many others have anything like that - which is a shame, as we need more competition in this space to help drive down prices.

2 Likes

Dude, go and try finding a professional display like Apple’s XDR display (6K at 32") that costs less than $15k. AFAIK most of the competition is $25k or more. Apple’s XDR display is what, $5k or $6k.

No need for you to be contra here :stuck_out_tongue: nobody is a shill or anything. It’s just facts.

I am being told that certain 4K displays are not far away from Apple’s displays though. But still not the same quality.

I’d be ecstatic if they get real competition. Really. I am pondering building a Threadripper 3975WX-based Linux workstation somewhere next year so I’d love to have a non-Apple machine with the same crisp image quality like my iMac Pro’s display. So far haven’t heard of one.

1 Like

He may be partly (technically?) right :upside_down_face: Looks like we’re seeing more decent competition now - there’s certainly more here than a few years ago when I last checked:

2 Likes

Pretty nice!

I do wonder if they’ll look good under Linux with 200% or 300% scaling? Would that have the same effect like the Retina screens? I’d love it if Apple finally gets real competition.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be too far off with the 5K or 8K ones in terms of crispness :smiley: (though I imagine they will require two separate thunderbolt cables / a GPU that can output that).

1 Like