What are the most popular frameworks for these languages?

For elm there is elm-ui which has been generating some waves.

2 Likes

Grails aka Groovy on Rails

3 Likes

NestJs is also popular in Node community now a days.

1 Like

For Ruby there is also Sinatra and Hanami.

1 Like

Thanks for the info everyone :+1:

Added these - will get started on all the others tomorrow :nerd_face:

1 Like

Ah nice - we should add them to this thread too:

:nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes, that’d be nice!

I feel like some portals don’t have enough content. We should also invite people from those communities to DevTalk and ask them about things like their experience with those tools and what they’re working on, or why they think their tools are better / more pleasant to work with / more productive.

Yep I agree, however I have been holding off as like you said, there’s not much activity yet.

Hopefully when the portals and news sources are added there will at least be some news in each portal, plus I was thinking we should start spreading the word when we come out of beta, when we essentially have a MVP worthy of a 1.0 release - with things like the ‘snapshots by email’ feature. I think this will help make the site more compelling for people to join :smiley:

If you know anyone who you think might be interested in the meantime please do let them know (I might post on the Swift forum myself too at some point, asking for advice and mention our threads here :blush:)

1 Like

I love the concept of one centralized place for errata of all the technical books. Like clicking on the errata link in PragProg sends you to the book’s page on DevTalk. It’s super handy.

Framework release news also needs some work. Getting news about the release of 3 versions together makes the /forum page cluttered.

I’m not a UX pro, but I think having different colors for titles in a list of posts may guide the eye, and make finding your relevant thing easier. For example, someone is looking only for news, or questions, or general discussion. Then for example news has grey color, the /forum page won’t look much cluttered.

Example:

Of course choose different colors if you liked the idea, I suck at color choice.

1 Like

We signify things like this via icons in the top right - eg, news, blog posts, questions, books, etc all have different icons :slight_smile:

We use colour to reflect type, eg Frontend dev is red, backend is blue, desktop platforms are purple etc :slight_smile:

A combination is used too, so a blue top right colour with a book icon means the thread is about a backend dev book :nerd_face:

Re the three Rails news items, we have three as a fallback - in case our system is down and we need to catch up (so any important news isn’t missed). However if no news item for that portal has ever been posted before then it should only post the latest news item - so not sure why three got posted - I will have to look into it :face_with_monocle:

Thanks for the comments about PragProg errata, I love seeing it here too :grin:

Edit: just noticed you meant the forum and not the front page. Ideally we’d have thread icons on the forum too, unfortunately this is not possible with discourse atm. So we are currently making do with section name (eg news/chat/questions etc) and colour (eg blue for backend, red for Frontend, etc) :). Hopefully discourse will add thread icons at some point :smiley:

1 Like

For F# there are these:

• Fable + Elmish: for compiling to JavaScript and writing web frontends
  • Giraffe: web framework
  • Saturn: built on top of Giraffe and made to look and feel like Phoenix in Elixir
  • SAFE Stack: sane defaults for building websites in F# (saturn + elmish + fable etc)
  • WebSharper: pretty slick framework for writing web frontends and backends with automatic handling of all the RPC between client and server
  • Bolero: Like WebSharper, but compiles the client side to web assembly

Not sure if these are relevant or need portals of their own.

1 Like

Looks good Sebastian - if they are relatively active and have a news source (releases on GitHub or a blog with RSS) then I think we can add them :+1:

Ok I think all of those mentioned in this thread have been added, bar 2:

• elm-ui - I can’t see a news source for it
  • SAFE Stack - can’t find a news source for it either

If you are in touch with any of their teams and can get them to use GitHub releases (instead of just git tags for releases) or a blog with an RSS feed then we could add them too :+1:

Qurakus makes it easy to AOT compile your app to a native image with GraalVM. Because of it’s very quick cold starts and very small memory footprint comparing to JVM, it’s one of the best options for cloud native apps.

Here is a post about benchmarking Quarkas native image against Go.

@AstonJ Please create a portal for Quarkus!

1 Like

Sure thing @DevotionGeo - how shall we classify it? “Java Framework”?

1 Like

Yes, it’s a Java framework tailored for Oracle’s GraalVM.

1 Like

Here ya go DG:

:nerd_face:

1 Like

The most popular framework for Java is Spring; a very large project with many modules from which to choose.

According to the 2020 results of Snyk’s annual JVM ecosystem survey:

• 60% of respondents use Spring
  • half the respondents use Spring Boot for web apps
  • a third of the respondents use Spring MVC for web apps

I haven’t used Spring but I’m not surprised by these numbers.

1 Like

Added :smiley:

Should we classify as a Java Framework or Web Framework tho Ted? (Currently put it as a web framework.)

1 Like

I think Spring is best classified as a Java framework because it encompasses a lot more than just web.

Modules such as Spring Boot and Spring MVC are web frameworks, though.

1 Like