Vim And Emacs Are The Most Important Skills You Should Learn

Just to be clear, changing terminal was not related to remote editing. Just that I have found it to be a better terminal than the built in M-X term. Sorry if that was unclear.

I have never tried using it but was under the impression that you could connect emacs to the remote server and then over the same connection use that to open multiple files (or a terminal), similar to how VSCode Remote works. However, a quick google suggests that it might not be as seamless but at least some of it seems possible. It might require some fiddling to build the workflow you are after though.

In general, thinking of Emacs more like a platform to build your own editing experience might save some disappointment compared to VSCode which more of complete package out of the box (and more limited in terms of making it your own). Doom and Spacemacs offers a good middle ground imho where you have a lot of functionality out of the box but still retains the ability to override or extend anything.

From what I could find googling there doesn’t seem to be any out of the box solution that takes it as far as VSCode Remote though.

It depends a bit on what you want though, if you just want to open a remote file and make some changes what you can do in Emacs already should be good enough. Keep in mind that you can write some code to simplify steps you need to take often. Say if you always connect to the same server, you can make a function that will connect to that service and a specific directory and bind it to a key.

2 Likes