The Orbit Model to build high gravity communities

The Orbit Model:

The Orbit Model is a framework for building high gravity communities. A high gravity community is one that excels at attracting and retaining members by providing an outstanding member experience.

The Orbit Model contains four fundamental concepts: Gravity, Love, Reach and Orbit Level:

• Love is a member’s level of engagement and activity in the community.
  • Reach is a measure of a community member’s sphere of influence.
  • Gravity is the attractive force of a community that acts to retain existing members and attract new ones.
  • Orbit levels are a practical tool for member segmentation and used to design different programs for each level of the community.

The RFC for the new Orbit Model 2.0:

We first published the Orbit Model as a blog post way back in March 2019. Since then, lots of folks have adopted it, many of you have helped improve it, and we’ve even built an app based on it tada

As the model has matured from a high-level idea in a blog post to a framework that community folks use every day, it’s become clear that it’s time for a “refactoring” to reach its full potential.

Orbit Model 2.0 is our proposal to streamline the model, help it scale to all community types, and become a complete framework for community building.

Looks like an awesome concept to build a community around a product/project.

What are your thoughs?

2 Likes

Looks like a nice idea Paulo!

Some of the most important things imo are:

• Be welcoming, understanding and sympathetic
  • Do not allow personal attacks because they can cause HUGE problems further down the line. What might start out with a small dig here or there can lead to a situation where a relationship becomes unreconcilable, and what starts as an issue between two people will, almost always, spiral - leading to things like cliques forming. It’s far better, imo, to let members who want to insult or attack others leave, than the kinder more welcoming folk leave - who are more likely to be the sort of person others (including yourself) want to hang out with.
2 Likes

This is what you already do in the communities you are building, the Elixir forum and this one, and that I totally agree with it and I think it should be transversal to any community.

What made me interested in the model was the Orbit levels, and hoe you promote the engagement of the community with your product/project:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/orbit-love/orbit-model/master/images/orbit-model-canvas.png

2 Likes

I think it could be even simpler for a product or service based community - particularly if it’s not free - and that based on a very simple principle; the customer is always right - do everything you can to make and keep them happy (within reason).

This works really well for leading companies who have very good brand loyalty so I’m sure would translate well to the digital sphere too :slight_smile:

2 Likes