The Future of Computing

Is that what it’s really like now? I haven’t made an iOS app but did make a tiny macOS app and sold it on the App Store for 99p: Have you made or worked on a macOS app? - #2 by AstonJ From memory I was making about £50 a month for what I thought was a tiny app (all it did was pick lottery numbers for you :joy:). Could be why you often see lots of apps from a single developer?

I agree, and I think many of us feel that apps we download via the App Store are ‘safe’ - i.e if anything nefarious is going on, such as the app stealing data or accessing your photos without your specific permission (ie you upload each photo yourself) then they would boot the apps from the App Store or notify users what’s happened so we can take the appropriate legal action.

:+1: :nerd_face:

I don’t follow Twitter these days but I always thought he had valuable things to say in certain areas. What sort of stuff is he highlighting? About Apple’s fees?

I hope you’re right but I think we may need govt intervention. A lot of the ‘successful’ startups are those who VC backing/funding. This is why I love supporting everyday devs like us lot - and languages like Ruby and Elixir, because they are powerful enablers for bootstrappers.

In the hands of decent folk it should be exciting… but yeah, very scary in the hands of others! :upside_down_face:

I’ve been following that and I agree that it’s terrible - surely the first thing they should have checked were their systems?

The families can take action against those involved (and I hope they do) but agree there should be better laws, particularly as they had no choice or say in the matter (of using that software).

3 Likes