Text Processing with JavaScript (PragProg)

Solve complex text validation, extraction, and modification problems efficiently in JavaScript.

fkjavascript-500

Faraz K. Kelhini @Faraz

edited by Margaret Eldridge @Margaret

You might think of regular expressions as the holy grail of text processing, but are you sure you aren’t just shoehorning them in where standard built-in solutions already exist and would work better? JavaScript itself provides programmers with excellent methods for text manipulation, and knowing how and when to use them will help you write more efficient and performant code. From extracting data from APIs to calculating word counts and everything in between, discover how to pick the right tool for the job and make the absolute most of it every single time.

Whether you’re a beginner or an advanced programmer, this up-to-date guide will save you a ton of time when dealing with text. With Text Processing with JavaScript, you’ll find a collection of tiny programs, each demonstrating a string manipulation approach in JavaScript. You’ll also focus squarely on the practical aspects of text processing with JavaScript—that is, what each technique is designed to accomplish and how to use it in your program.

Discover how to extract data from APIs and web pages, apply spelling corrections, convert and format currencies, and remove HTML tags from text. Learn to intersect tables, copy text to the clipboard, extract lists from text, and highlight sentences that contain a specific word. Find duplicate words and fix them automatically, modify a copy of an existing regex literal, match the beginning or end of a string, and remove all comments from JavaScript and HTML files with ease. Match non-ASCII words, calculate the word count of an article in any language, and more.

Become a JavaScript expert and master chef of text processing with this collection of hands-on and production-ready recipes.

Faraz Kelhini is the author of Modern Asynchronous JavaScript. With more than a decade of software development experience, Faraz has in-depth knowledge of the JavaScript language and its related APIs. Faraz is always passionate about moving the web forward and promoting patterns and ideas that make coding more productive.

Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com" at checkout :+1:

4 Likes

This book has been a blast to work on with @Faraz. It is in a recipe style, which makes it easy to look up answers to particular text-processing issues. We are going to be in beta for maybe two months, so please buy it now and give us feedback to help us make the book even better. You get Parts I and II now, and then over the coming weeks we’ll release the 4 appendices. Finally, you’ll get Part III, which is currently in tech review. But it is all there, so if you buy in beta, you’ll get the final book fairly soon. Remember to use promo code d e v t a l k . c o m at checkout to save 35 percent!

2 Likes

I’m the author of this awesome book! If you have any questions or need any clarifications, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. Seriously, I’m here to help! Oh, and let me tell you, working with Margaret on this project was an absolute blast.

2 Likes