Teen caught in $46M dollar Bitcoin theft via buying a username

Hamilton teen embroiled in FBI probe, fingered in $46-million cryptocurrency theft from rich and ‘goofy’ Bitcoin pioneer.
In 2020 the equivalent of $46 million in Bitcoin was stolen in SIM swap attack that allegedly targeted Josh Jones

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Paywalled! :stuck_out_tongue: What seems to be the same article, with the Spec extract being word for word from the beginning of this one: Hamilton teen embroiled in FBI probe, fingered in $46-million cryptocurrency theft from rich and 'goofy' Bitcoin pioneer | The Star

2 Likes

Also, for those who are happy someone seems to be bringing out an animated version of Groo the Wander, the victim in this case “has a production company that bought the animation rights to the long-running comic Groo the Wanderer”.

1 Like

Yep, but adblock (uMatrix Origin) fixes that (disable its JS, lol).

1 Like

I didn’t realise it was behind a paywall, or at least I don’t think it was when I clicked on the poster - so have pencilled this in for auto-delete :smiley: (I don’t really see the point in us including articles that aren’t publicly viewable…)

1 Like

There is a point when the comments on it tell how to view the content (or at least what is presumably identical content) without the paywall. (Or trivially bypass the paywall.)

2 Likes

I think I’d be fine with “paywall” (note the quotes) being posted as long as it’s also posted how to trivially bypass it (disable javascript in this case).

1 Like

They would probably try to sue us then :lol:

Seriously tho I think for most users they are too close to being a ‘dead’ link (most will click on it then just close the tab once they realise they can’t view or easily view the content) and so I’d class as a low value source :upside_down_face:

1 Like

True but at least having it here for a while gives the more intrepid time to post some way to view the content, if not the same thing at the same source then at least a different article on the same thing, especially for news events.

2 Likes