Spotlight: Peter Ullrich (Author) Interview and AMA!

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Does your book identifies design patterns on how to implement advanced table features in a clean and reusable way?

4 Likes

Another great Spotlight! I especially liked the history and component sections - thank you!

I have some questions :blush:

• As you’ve seen Elixir and Phoenix grow over the years, what do you think is going to be the next big thing in Elixir?
  • After LiveView 1.0 (and multi-stage forms) what do you think (or hope) we’ll see in LiveView in future?
  • After (or other than) LiveView, what else do you think or might like to see in Phoenix?
4 Likes

Great spotlight. Clearly explained the sweet spot where liveview really fits in. Phoenix and liveview makes the life of indie developers much easier.

Eagerly Waiting for your video course.

4 Likes

On Thi book you use some lib for the pagination like scrivener?

5 Likes

Hi, considering your experience with Elixir/Phoenix, what is lacking to Elixir and Phoenix to breakthrough and become more popular?

4 Likes

Does LiveView have any limitations or gotchas that new comers won’t be familiar with, and if there are any workarounds to those limitations if any?

6 Likes

Hey, it does to a certain extend! All features like Pagination, Filtering, and Sorting live in their own Phoenix Component. The fields that they use are hard-coded but you could easily provide them as a list or schemaless changeset when you re-use them in another template.

4 Likes

Hey, thank you :slight_smile: Great questions!

1. Honestly, José would be the best person to ask this question. I have no visibility into other industries and areas of software development other than web development. However, I see that we’re pushing into the ML, Data Science space and I expect this trend to continue.
  2. I hope that we see expansion into iOS and Android through LiveViewNative and that - at one point - we’ll see offline capabilities as well. Maybe something smart where the state is kept in the browser AND in the LiveView process and they sync continuously. That’d allow offline capabilities and connection loss mitigation.
  3. Phoenix feels pretty complete already to be honest. I think the focus will be on LiveView and Phoenix will be updated to support any development there as we have seen with LiveView 0.18 and Phoenix 1.7 already.
3 Likes

Well wait no longer! :smiley: The video course is available here: Build an MVP with Elixir

4 Likes

Nope, I write the pagination functionality myself. It’s not that hard to do, really.

4 Likes

The technology is impressive and a strong argument by itself. However, I think we need to focus more on attracting and onboarding devs from other languages and new devs. It’s a community effort though and there isn’t a silver bullet for this. But we should look at other communities like the Python community and see how they make it easy and attractive to switch to or to start with Python. If we only focus on getting Senior Engineers from other languages into Elixir, adoption will be limited.

3 Likes

Absolutely. There’s no offline capability or connection loss mitigation. You need a stable internet connection to use it, which isn’t the case on e.g. mobile. That’s probably the biggest caveat over a SPA like React that can quickly switch over to an in-memory state and then sync it up with the server once the connection is re-established.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m your friendly Devtalk bot :nerd_face:

Thank you to all of you who participated in our Spotlight AMA!

This is now closed and all of those who commented above have been entered into the draw - meaning we’re now ready to pick a winner!

The process will be initiated when somebody clicks the special link below:

:arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: Devtalk - Dev forum at Devtalk - the forum for developers! :arrow_left: :arrow_left: :arrow_left:

Don’t be shy, we need one of you to help make the magic happen! :sparkles:

Thank you for initiating the draw process…

Entering the following members into the draw…

:arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down:

1 Like

And the winner is…

Drum roll…

1 Like

Congratulations @romenigld you are the chosen one!! We’ll be in touch about your prize via PM soon :smiley:

Thank you everyone who entered, and of course @PJUllrich for taking part in our Spotlight - thank you! :blue_heart:

3 Likes

Congratulations, @romenigld !

3 Likes

Amazing thank’s!

2 Likes

Congratulations! I’ll ping you by personal message to follow up and get you your copy. :smiley: :books::heart: