Spotlight: Johanna Rothman (Author)

@andresriveros

Andres, I need to ask some questions:

1. Is this a new joint venture, where the two of you would write a blog together? (Separate posts, point/counterpoint, co-writing, etc?)
  2. Is this someone who can “help” you make your platform broader?

I like to think about all the possible winners and losers in this situation. Let’s start with the readers.

• Who do you write for now?
  • Do you want to change that?
  • What value do they get from you now? (starting to answer the focus question.)

I always have a real person in mind when I write. That means I work to focus each post on something useful.

I try to clarify my position so people get some benefit from my words. Sometimes, I can help a reader make their work easier. Sometimes, it’s about clarifying the decision points. That might not be easier. It might actually be more complex. However, my goal is to support the reader to achieve a useful outcome.

I sometimes write pros/cons myself. You might find a point/counterpoint with another writer works even better.

Based on my experience, I have many strong opinions. That said, I also try to explain when things can’t work the way I describe. If you write from your experience, you will decide whether to include alternate views, or reinforce your experience or something else.

I do recommend you write from your experience. I do not recommend you write from a theoretical position. Theory is never the same as in practice.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes