Programming Erlang Book Club

Unfortunately, I’m not reading it currently and may not open it soon.

2 Likes

What are you reading atm DG?

I need to get that book clubs thread up as I am also thinking about postponing this book until after some more Elixir/Phoenix ones as I’m dying to start on my first (albeit smaller side) Phoenix & LiveView project…

1 Like

To finish chapter 9 I just added types to my solution for Advent of Code Day 1:

I think it really helps to understand the program :slight_smile:

I will stick to this book before starting something else, I want to get the Erlang basics before going back to Elixir/Phoenix, even if it’s tempting :smiley:

2 Likes

I might do this too - just skip the exercises. I don’t normally do them anyway, as my main objective when reading a book is generally to understand and get an idea of what’s possible in a language or framework, and then simply refer back to things when I need to.

I just need to get these two upgrades of other forums (to our portal system here) done out of the way first…

1 Like

I’m working on a client project with a Phoenix backend and hybrid apps. Also, some of other responsibilities are taking my days. So currently I’m not reading anything, but I’m trying to gather everything and get back on track, and restart learning Rust and Erlang etc.

3 Likes

Yeah I was expecting it too, will probably write a summarized overview of part 1 :wink: … 2021 turned out different from other years, any time I ain’t working I am spending behind playing FarCry-s

2 Likes

I finished chapter 10 and 11 now.
While I won’t be able to use the things in chapter 10 anytime soon, it’s anyway good to see how all the compiling would work when creating a bigger app.
Chapter 11 gives a nice overview about how Erlang solves concurrency. Nothing new to me, but a nice read, and shows again that Erlang is doing it the right way.

Distributed software systems with locks and keys always go wrong.

That’s also my experience :smiley:

3 Likes

I am back with this book, I recall last I read was chapter 10 but I forgot most of it so I’ll re-read it tomorrow. And this time I will give a chapter by chapter summary and opinions.

4 Likes

I’ve been utterly busy the last days/weeks, but I managed to finish chapter 12 :slight_smile:

Still enjoying the book once I get started, but there are just too many things I should or want to do at the moment.

2 Likes

Still reading…
Finished chapter 13 about how to seperate working code from error handling, again a very good concept I think, as I don’t like all the defensive code I’m used to write in C#.

At the moment I’m hyped about the OTP 24 release, Erlang just got so much better :smiley:

I really wanna use Erlang more, just I don’t know how i can achieve that. At least I had the opportunity to introduce Akka in my company, which brings some Erlang concepts to C#:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really need to get back into this book Rainer! :see_no_evil:

The Erlang team have been doing a great job - I think out of all of our portals, Erlang has the most releases recorded :sunglasses: (no idea why it got a reputation for not being as actively developed as other languages!)

2 Likes

So I was looking into a large Erlang codebase yesterday. My flow stuttered a lot, despite full understanding of the syntax and design patterns. I have no problem writing Erlang, but readability isn’t there yet. On the other hand, I can understand F# or Ocaml fairly we despite not having much knowledge of the syntax.

Is it just me? Or does Erlang demand a bit more practice to gain fluency in terms of reading code? I think, Pascal cased variables and lower cased atoms play trick on my mind?

2 Likes

What was the code Mafinar?

1 Like

A friend wrote a server for Vehicle GPS tracking devices (ones that you plug in a car). So it gets data from various devices, parses the sentences and sends them to a server, along with receiving server sent events (i.e. stop the car engine, take photo, call 911 etc) and react accordingly.

2 Likes

Ah… I thought it might have been a public project (just wanted to have a nose, haha!) :smiley:

1 Like

It will be public soon though.

2 Likes

It’s arrived, my copy of the book! :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Ooo exciting! And I like what you did with your arm there Herminio :sunglasses:

I’ll look forward to reading your updates :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s more because of prolog syntax, lol. ^.^

Also more prolog.

Eh, an atom is most close to, say, a global variant, which is common stuff in a lot of languages like OCaml (which is technically OOP-capable though no one really does that in it), or an enum in most other languages (though those are namespaced!).

Which is why I’m still sad about the removal of value typed modules just a few versions ago… :frowning:
It had so many useful abilities, especially in regards to emulating higher typed modules (by just putting a module inside a modules values!)!

Dialyzer is always a must use! ^.^

2 Likes

I have a special trepidation and positive attitude bordering on love for the author of this book (Joe Armstrong). What a pity that he was not destined to write the continuation of the chapters of this wonderful book. Well. We will be glad that we have! Several years ago I translated this second edition of this book into Russian. Unfortunately, due to the plight of the publishing industry in Russia and the small community (I develop one of them), I was never able to release this translation of mine.

I have an idea how to continue to improve this wonderful book. I will make rebar3 projects based on the examples of the book as I re-read this book. What do you think of this way of rereading a book? I would be interested to know your opinions.

I am now doing similar creative work, reading a book “Erlang Programming”. I will definitely share the results with you if you are interested in it.

2 Likes