Programming Erlang Book Club

It arrived early! Can’t wait to start

1 Like

Whoo hoo!!!

Doesn’t it feel kinda special in your hands? Maybe it’s just me but I really wanted to get the printed book as it would feel like there’s a little bit of Joe here - and it does too! Aren’t we a funny species? :upside_down_face:

I will look forward to seeing you get through this book :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes.

I could imagine Joe speaking those lines as I was reading the first page :sob:

Such a well introduction, is the rest of the book as enlightening?

3 Likes

If you like what you’ve read so far you are going to love the rest of it (at least based on what I’ve read so far myself).

Joe’s personality shines through very strongly - it will fill you both with joy and sorrow - joy because it’s him (and almost as if he’s there with you) and sorrow because he’s no longer around, and because you won’t be able to tell him how awesome you’re finding Erlang thanks to him/his book :cry:

It’s far from depressing tho - I don’t think anyone could feel depressed in the presence of Joe… and in this book his presence is most definitely felt :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Hi everybody! I’m back after a long break. My 4 day’s trip got stretched to almost 3 weeks, and it looks like I won’t be able to open the book for the rest of this year because of the tasks held. Where is everybody in the book? @mafinar, welcome to the club!

2 Likes

I didn’t make any progress on the book, instead I’m solving Advent of Code with Erlang when I find some time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome back DG - I hope you had a nice trip :smiley:

I’ve not made much progress tbh but like you hope to get back to it soon. Rainer is steaming ahead :rofl: and from what Mafinar has said, he may be flying through it too :joy:

I would like to place my bet now that I will probably be the last to finish the book :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

As I’m busy with Advent of Code you have some time to catch up :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you!
I enjoyed the trip a lot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just finished reading chapter 9 :slight_smile:
It’s about types in Erlang, how to specify them and find mistakes with the dialyzer.
Pretty interesting, as I didn’t know anything of that :smiley:
Also I liked that Joe described writing good code and type annotations as a kind of art. Often while coding I feel like an artist, wanting to create something elegant and beautiful.
More people should feel like that, then the legacy mess I’m cleaning up at work wouldn’t look like it does :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I really need to get back to this book :see_no_evil:

I hope @DevotionGeo and @mafinar are still reading it and I’m glad to see you are @Rainer :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes I am reading it. On Chapter 10 right now. Will stop and contemplate on the language a little before moving to the OTP part (most of which I am familiar with thanks to Elixir but retelling by Joe will surely be an absolute pleasure)

1 Like

Ah nice Mafinar! Though I was looking forward to your chapter-ly updates/thoughts - keep us posted on how you get on if you can (it can help keep the rest of us motivated too :nerd_face:)

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m not reading it currently and may not open it soon.

1 Like

What are you reading atm DG?

I need to get that book clubs thread up as I am also thinking about postponing this book until after some more Elixir/Phoenix ones as I’m dying to start on my first (albeit smaller side) Phoenix & LiveView project…

To finish chapter 9 I just added types to my solution for Advent of Code Day 1:

I think it really helps to understand the program :slight_smile:

I will stick to this book before starting something else, I want to get the Erlang basics before going back to Elixir/Phoenix, even if it’s tempting :smiley:

1 Like

I might do this too - just skip the exercises. I don’t normally do them anyway, as my main objective when reading a book is generally to understand and get an idea of what’s possible in a language or framework, and then simply refer back to things when I need to.

I just need to get these two upgrades of other forums (to our portal system here) done out of the way first…

I’m working on a client project with a Phoenix backend and hybrid apps. Also, some of other responsibilities are taking my days. So currently I’m not reading anything, but I’m trying to gather everything and get back on track, and restart learning Rust and Erlang etc.

1 Like

Yeah I was expecting it too, will probably write a summarized overview of part 1 :wink: … 2021 turned out different from other years, any time I ain’t working I am spending behind playing FarCry-s

1 Like

I finished chapter 10 and 11 now.
While I won’t be able to use the things in chapter 10 anytime soon, it’s anyway good to see how all the compiling would work when creating a bigger app.
Chapter 11 gives a nice overview about how Erlang solves concurrency. Nothing new to me, but a nice read, and shows again that Erlang is doing it the right way.

Distributed software systems with locks and keys always go wrong.

That’s also my experience :smiley:

2 Likes