Pomodoro Technique Illustrated (PragProg)

You have so much you need to accomplish today. Your list is a mile long and you find yourself getting interrupted every other minute. You’d like to tell everyone to leave you alone, but most of the interruptions are coming from you! You think of a phone call you need to make or a web site you need to check and before you know it you’re answering email, checking Twitter, and finding a million other things to occupy your time.

Staffan Nöteberg @staffannoteberg

You have so much you need to accomplish today. Your list is a mile long and you find yourself getting interrupted every other minute. You’d like to tell everyone to leave you alone, but most of the interruptions are coming from you! You think of a phone call you need to make or a web site you need to check and before you know it you’re answering email, checking Twitter, and finding a million other things to occupy your time.

You need to focus—really focus.

The Pomodoro Technique puts you back in charge of your day. You’ll apply successful techniques from software engineering to identify what you should be doing today and to help you achieve your goals. Your mind won’t wander when it is fully engaged in short bursts of focused activity.

Learn to work less and accomplish more using nothing more than paper, pencil, and a simple kitchen timer.

Set the timer and start on your next Pomodoro. When the bell rings take a break. This personal approach to timeboxing is at the core of the Pomodoro technique and this book is filled with advice on how to get started and how to tailor it to your own needs.

" I would strongly suggest getting Pomodoro Technique Illustrated if you plan to learn or at least try the Pomodoro Technique, even more so if you plan for the year is to be more productive!"

Adam Barrett, UTAHCON,COM

• Full details: Search
  • View this book’s portal and details on how to post errata and suggestions here.

Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com" at checkout :+1:

2 Likes

I have to say, this is a very useful and important book right now. I have heard from so many people that with isolation, concentration is very difficult and productivity has suffered. Sure, there are tools out there now like Freedom, but Staffan shows you a simple way with just a timer, pen, and paper to improve your focus and get more done.

3 Likes

Of course it’s harder to concentrate nowadays. Tools and techniques, helping to concentrate better, are now more important than ever. I use Pomodoro technique and it works. I combine it with the 7 minutes workout app by Johnson & Johnson.
I didn’t read this book though, but I will.

What do people who use Freedom say about it? I used RescueTime in past and I liked it.

1 Like

There is a chrome extension called Block Site which I’m using since yesterday (after reading this thread :slight_smile:) and it’s nice! They also have Firefox extension and Android and iOS apps.
There is a Block Sites tab where you can add a list of sites to be blocked, or you can use it in whitelist mode to block all the websites except those in the list.
My favorite is the Work Mode tab. It has a Pomodoro timer. You can add a list of sites to the work mode, and it will block those sites only when you run the timer. It also has the whitelist mode, like the Block Sites tab.
You can also block by category. The adult category is blocked by default. Blocking other categories like Social, News, Sports is a premium feature.

2 Likes

@DevotionGeo I use an app called Freedom (which is paid). I didn’t know about Block Site, but it sounds similar. Thanks!

2 Likes

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like