Moonlander Keyboard (Mechanical) (Ergonomic) (Split) (Ortholinear)

Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did something about it.

Picked this vs. others because of the wristpad, ortholinear keys, and the command key placement. Excited to re-learn how to type :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Looks really cool! Shall we split into a dedicated thread? :nerd_face:

(In fact I think we should have dedicated threads for all the major keyboards/brands as I’m sure I’m not the only one who’ll have questions about them.)

2 Likes

Definitely a separate thread - although I don’t know anything about mechanical keyboards apart from the fact that there are a lot of them!

2 Likes

Extremely interested in your feedback about the keyboard after a few days – or weeks.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

3 Likes

I’ve set a bookmark for December 1 - It should be here by then, and I should have had a chance to use it for at least a little bit at that point. Hope it goes well!

2 Likes

I’ll be curious to hear what you think too Brent! Looks like it’s made by the same people who make ergodox?

I like that it works without having to install any special drivers:

Works with Windows, macOS, and Linux.
No special drivers or resident software needed.

Now that I’m using a sanding desk most of the time (while on the bike) I could put one half of each keyboard on either side of the base of my monitor stand and I think that would be a comfortable position (and negate the additional space it takes up at the front). So definitely curious to hear your thoughts!

They are a bit pricey here in the UK tho, by the time you add VAT they’re £332

1 Like

If it doesn’t need any special software then I am making it my new keyboard for sure. The question remains though: will it work-work or just work? I mean, every keyboard will just work but could you actually configure the backlighting and other aspects without a program in your OS? Or do they have a program for all 3 major OS-es?

After macOS 10.14 many keyboard controlling apps / drivers stopped working on macOS and now it’s pretty rare to actually have one that works. Logitech does it, and they are the only ones I know of. The rest just don’t care.

2 Likes

Looks like it is all done via firmware - so the software you need is for that (rather than for drivers). Perhaps @brentjanderson can confirm for us :smiley:

I have the Plack EZ from the same manufacturer. You compile the firmware using a website. And you load it onto the keyboards with a dedicated app.

This is my current layout: https://configure.ergodox-ez.com/planck-ez/layouts/MZOxJ/latest/0

2 Likes

Did you do that on macOS?

2 Likes

Which is available for which systems?

And if Linux is available, as source or binary only? The latter makes it for me close to non existent.

2 Likes

The dedicated app to load the firmware onto the keyboard is open source: https://github.com/zsa/wally

4 Likes

I actually just hopped on to see if there were any threads about keyboards and saw this. I also just purchased a Moolander! I heard about it on the Elixir Outlaws podcast. I can’t wait try it out.

3 Likes

I probably heard about it on the Elixir Outlaws podcast too!

2 Likes

A lot of the custom diy boards that are kits use QMK to flash board. Moonlander uses a fork of qmk. https://qmk.fm/. I built my own custom ortholinear board last year:

4 Likes

How did you get on with it @foxtrottwist? I really want to try a split keyboard and am seriously considering the Moonlander!

Did anyone else get one after?

Edit: I’ve just added our keyboards portal btw :+1:

2 Likes

@AstonJ I still haven’t received it yet :neutral_face:. I knew it would be late October early November when it would arrive, so I’m not disappointed. But of course sooner is always better than later.

I did however receive my Keyboardio Atreus. It’s meant to be my “travel” keyboard. It has also allow me to hone my layout :grinning:.

2 Likes

The Atreus looks pretty neat too! You’ll have to post a review for them both when you get time :smiley:

Which switches did you order for the Moonlander btw? I’m tempted to order it, even if I don’t like it I’m pretty sure I could sell it on eBay and not lose too much…

1 Like

Definitely! I’m enjoying the Atreus, but looking forward to comparing the the two.

I hadn’t had any experience with switches until ordering these boards. I selected the Mx cherry browns (tactile) with the MoonLander. However, I have Kailh box whites (clicky) on the Atreus and I am enjoying them very much.

I do own a couple of switch testers that come with various kinds of switches on them. And I’ve even put them in the Atreus since it’s hot swappable. I think I want tactile but not cherry. So I’m looking into other options. Kailh speed copper (tactile) but also exploring Kailh speed silver (linear) just try something different.

2 Likes

Guess what I ordered :see_no_evil: I’m blaming you @foxtrottwist!!

I actually chose the Kailh box whites as I wanted something clicky to help get used to it being ortho. I can always get tactile browns later if need be. I’m in batch 4, so delivery is Nov to Dec 25th… just in time for the new year :nerd:

3 Likes