My thoughts on macOS vs Linux

Welcome back, you new father you! Now, how much years do you need to catch up with sleep after the baby was born? :blush:

I am admitting my complete ignorance here, I never used Wayland. I am pondering a Linux workstation and I can’t even decide between KDE / XFCE / BSPWM / DWM for two spare laptops I have lying around…

That’s true but honestly? For most people it’s fine. I know that one day I’ll love tinkering with my desktop UI as many Linuxers do but realistically, macOS’ UI is not a show stopper to me. It can be better but it absolutely does NOT hamper my daily productivity. I wish for more keyboard shortcuts and generally not use the mouse much but that’s irrelevant to my paid work – just a personal preference.

Maybe we should start it!

I feel you are cherry-picking here. My gaming PC is aging – it has an i7 3770 CPU with 32GB ram and an average consumer-grade SSD (Samsung EVO 860) and it’s working CRAZY fast in Windows 10. I can’t blink before 99% of what I do there happens (which is gaming… which I do like twice a month in the last year or so…). But in any case, opening browser tabs, opening most programs, closing stuff, connections… EVERYTHING is just amazingly fast. And we’re talking a nearly 10-year old PC.

But I’ve always known how to tune Windows and escape from a lot of its inefficiencies (and that’s surprisingly extremely easy to do, they are just 3-4 things really). So maybe, just as you can perfectly and intuitively tune your Linux to be amazingly fast, so can I with Windows?

My hugest gripe with Win10 is the atrocious bootup time. It absolutely brought back the jokes of “turn the computer on and let it warm up” jokes in my house. My wife’s gaming laptop boots up in 15 seconds and is ready to start an app or game 10 or so more seconds later.

When it comes to Windows, its devs kind of gave up and just gated stuff behind timers to avoid parallel shared state bugs, I feel.

But I think we can all agree Windows is a gradually dying platform. Instead of moving to Linux step by step, Microsoft is making things worse for everyone by tacking WSL2 in it. While companies like Valve are adding new games to run under Linux through the Steam library every week… Even today, a lot of people in HN report that they have completely ditched Windows and they can do all their daily work AND gaming under Linux. Cool!

3 Likes