My thoughts on macOS vs Linux

Eh, been quite the opposite in my experience. Wayland is missing substantial features (including features I use on an hourly basis), it’s still extremely incomplete. It’s security is a whole ton better however, it’s now impossible for a program to, for example, start recording the image of another program, instead it now forces a user request to allow it, I do like these aspects.

Eh, not just me, I’ve walked many people through in my real life to running Kubuntu for years now, and they have no issues, including rather heavy Windows gaming on linux and all. Compared to when they ran windows and I was always being asked to help fix things, their linux systems just don’t break, and they do upgrade to the latest versions of Kubuntu as they are released (which, unlike windows or mac’s, actually gets faster on each release instead of slower, and it’s already the fastest out).

The Mac interface is incredible inconfigurable, similar on Windows, and like on Windows (which I’d argue is even more configurable than Macs to a fairly wide margin) would drive me utter crazy… ^.^;

Plus they’ve done some really horrible things, like whitelisting their own network connections to bypass firewalls, don’t give you details access in to your own system, have to setup certificates for practically everything you build, etc… That sounds like a slice of hell.

I’ve not heard of security issues with wayland? As for X11, those security issues are constrained to your user, it’s not like it can give anything root, and there are ways to sandbox those things as well though that is a bit more irritating to do.

+1

Capitalism is a pox on humanity, nothing but a modern day monarchic system to keep control centralized in the few, but that’s a topic for another thread. ^.^;

On my linux desktop, that’s been running the same linux install since 2006 (yes really) that’s been upgraded every year on top of the existing version, never been cleaned out, etc… etc… etc…, I can open about anything instantly, never had any slowdown in 15 years, and it has noticeably gotten even faster over time (even excluding that I bought an SSD about 9 years ago for it, that I hooked up into the LVM system to act as a boot and program accelerator by mirroring the main directories to it). ^.^

Really though, my 15 year old desktop, which had a CPU change 11+ years ago, still runs absolute circles around my comparatively very new work Dell computer that runs Win10 (which I use as nothing but a thin client to connect to linux systems). Even just logging in to a session that’s already logged in takes 10+ seconds, loading calc.exe of all things takes like 12 seconds, notepad takes like 6 seconds, this is all utter crazy, like every single operation on the thing feels so incredibly lagged, where my home desktop does everything instantly, logging in is as fast as I can hit enter after typing my password and the screen does a tenth of a second flicker to initialize the 3d context back, and all of my system pales in comparison to my wife’s (which I often use concurrently with my wife via more sessions as her hardware is far newer and supports vulkan for me to program with, which it handles with bliss, which, of course, you can’t do on Windows or Mac at all). Heck, even the boottime on my home desktop is about 8 seconds to go through the BIOS (yes it’s that old), another 4 seconds to realize the hardware RAID is disabled, then about 2 seconds to boot linux to get to my login screen, then another <1s to load my profile from scratch once I log in, and all that on my exceptionally old home desktop, which again, wife’s computer blows away.

It’s trivial to see what took long in bootup as well, I can see precisely how long each driver, service, etc… took to load in milliseconds, and what depended on what causing serialization of the loading, and this is done every bootup. I’ve yet to figure out how to get that information out of the Win10 system at work (which takes almost 2 minutes to bootup, just wow’s me every time…), and I haven’t heard one way or the other how you’d get that info on macs.

Isn’t that an ancient windows’ism? Why would mac’s need to do that?! Linux definitely doesn’t…

For note, I run and have other local people run Kubuntu because its solid releases, doesn’t have the tracking of Ubuntu, has the far superior KDE, is not an often-breaking (though usually easily fixed if you know what you’re doing, but not going to put that work on non-computer people) rolling release like Arch, etc…

4 Likes