JetBrains Fleet: The Next-Generation IDE

JetBrains Fleet: The Next-Generation IDE by JetBrains.
Built from scratch, based on 20 years of experience developing IDEs. Fleet uses the IntelliJ code-processing engine, with a distributed IDE architecture and a reimagined UI.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

7 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

I wonder how this will be… Sounds like their answer to VSCode for progressive enhancement of features?

3 Likes

Join the preview and let us know what you think of it :003:

3 Likes

The site ain’t loading for me.

2 Likes

Working fine here Mafinar…

1 Like

What do you know, it work well in desktop, but from phone the hourglass never stops turning. At least a “Works best in Desktop” message could’ve been cool.

2 Likes

Wow, that looks very cool – signed up for the early access, so fingers crossed I can get my greedy fingers on it soon :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Signed up for the early access. I hope it’s something different and isn’t only a facelift for IDEA.

2 Likes

Signed up too for the early access. Looks like a cloud based IDE isn’t it?

3 Likes

Worked quite well on my mobile phone? The site seems very mobile friendly in design (to the detriment of desktop in my opinion).

I’m not entirely sure, that’s why I want to look at it. I sure hope it’s not cloud-run required, I do all locally…

2 Likes

Here’s our response I guess.

Looks like a half VSCode half Idea.

2 Likes

Looks quite neat - would be great for dev on an iPad.

When using the cloud function is that something that’s on your own servers? I wouldn’t want to use anyone else’s or for it (or the server) to be dialling out to their servers…

2 Likes

I’m planning on using VS Code Remote so I can have my IDE on the work MacBook I use for video chats and browsing and stuff while farming out dev/build/container work to a beefy Linux box across the room.

I enjoy JetBrains code navigation and refactoring more than VSCode’s so it’d be great to see Fleet as a solid competitor.

Only problem I’ve got is most of my coworkers use vscode or vim so I end up wanting to use the public language servers and debug protocols so that my live coding workflow can integrate well with theirs.

I hope fleet can be as interoperable with free the tools non-JB customers use as possible.

2 Likes