How do you keep fit and healthy?

I’ve started doing stuff in the house again as well - mostly with kettle bells. It’s funny that even with light weights you still get the aches if you haven’t lifted for a while :lol:

1 Like

I just added 2.5 kg per dumb bell yesterday. Been doing 5 kg. My improvement has been quite satisfactory. If only I could control which fat to burn first.

1 Like

I never used Kettle Bells. How’re they like?

1 Like

One can use them like dumbbells, but done properly the movements are more dynamic and full body. Just doing forward swing can do wonders. Kettlebell Swing - YouTube

I’ve done stuff with good instructors, where we’ve done stuff like throws with them, but for most stuff I’d go see Wikipedia and Youtube and check the basic exercises.

What I like about them is getting a good workout besides strength training and the strength is more “functional” or holistic, thus being more transferable to sport specific strength than typical barbell lifts.

3 Likes

Thank you! I just saw a few articles written about the benefits of Kettle Bells and they were all in praise. Some of them felt too good to be true in fact. It’s interesting how different weight distribution can repurpose a device.

2 Likes

Don’t try this at your local gym.

2 Likes

MCU Loki approves. That IS effective. Thor reluctantly agrees.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ll be trying that… I’d probably drop it on my foot! :lol:

1 Like

After getting horrible backpain some weeks ago I needed to go to physiotherapy, and since then started go swimming one or two times a week.
It was never my favourite sport, but at the moment I like it and I’m grtting better. 50m breaststroke takes me around 1min 24s. My goal is < 1min, and also I want to be able diving 25m. Let’s see when I’m there :slight_smile:

Is anyone else here swimming?

1 Like

I loved swimming when I was younger (before I knew what chlorine was!) but I haven’t swam in any chlorinated pools for a while now.

I visited a friend a few years ago and she has a jacuzzi in her garden, so I joined in… but totally regretted it! All that chlorine make me feel sick and I didn’t get a wink of sleep all night!! Never again!! :lol:

I like swimming in natural water when it’s warm, and might try a pool with a UV/natural filter at some point :smiley:

Luckily the chlorine content is relatively low where I go, but of course I also prefer swimming in the lake.
But as the water temperature there is 5°C I guess that would not be the best idea at the moment :cold_face:

1 Like

Happy healthy new year everyone :partying_face:
Every january I’ve got a “no sugar” challenge with friends. Anyone wanna join? :wink:

1 Like

Happy new year to you too Rainer! :smiley:

What does your no sugar month entail? No processed sugars or no sugar/carbs?

Thx :wink:

No processed sugar, so no sweets/dessert, and also no processed food containing sugar (if checking the ingredients of processed food it’s often astonishing how much % sugar it has).
Fresh fruits and also carbs are allowed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been doing that for years Rainer :lol:

That’s good :grinning::+1:t2:
Wish I had this endurance :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s easy Rainer! I haven’t had processed sugar for so long that the thought of it now makes me want to :face_vomiting: :lol:

I recently saved a home trainer from the bin. I ignored its presence in my living room for weeks, since cycling is not really my favourite… I take my youngest to the club on Sunday morning, and while he’s playing, I’m running a bit. I’m no running fan, but it helped me to get my general fitness on the court to a higher level. Since the pain slipped in, I thought I’d give that home trainer some attention.

1 Like

What kind of home trainer is it @henryjac70?

I bought an Elite home trainer a year ago

1 Like