How can smaller, more independent languages compete with those backed by tech giants?

Really? I hadn’t read the back cover (which is what PragProg post in their threads here) and it actually sounds right up my street :smiley:

Mark begins his journey with the basics of numbers, with an entertaining trip through the integers and the natural, rational, irrational, and transcendental numbers. The voyage continues with a look at some of the oddest numbers in mathematics, including zero, the golden ratio, imaginary numbers, Roman numerals, and Egyptian and continuing fractions. After a deep dive into modern logic, including an introduction to linear logic and the logic-savvy Prolog language, the trip concludes with a tour of modern set theory and the advances and paradoxes of modern mechanical computing.

If your high school or college math courses left you grasping for the inner meaning behind the numbers, Mark’s book will both entertain and enlighten you.

I generally prefer books to start at the basics, as that way I can easily skip the stuff I know (a lot harder to do when they start some way ahead of you).

1 Like