Has anyone had success permanently losing weight through dieting?

This came up on my feed earlier:

Where they mention that you could lose weight on pretty much any calorie deficit diet… but that may be far from ideal depending on what you’re eating. I would be inclined to agree, I think what you eat is probably more important than how much you eat (and why I would always encourage a species-appropriate diet if possible).

1 Like

Give this recipe a go Dimi, it’s quick and easy (tho skip the oil and just use butter):

You could have steamed asparagus with it and if you are still on carbs (or weaning off them) steamed baby potatoes as well with lots of clarified butter (butter is really good for you) :smiley:

2 Likes

Lost 70 lbs in one year (2016-17) by aiming for 25g of free sugar/day or less. That is a World Health Organization recommendation. Free sugar includes added sugar, but also things like juice where the fibre was removed.

Inspiration included “The Secrets of Sugar” and some lectures by Robert H. Lustig, MD (both on YouTube). For me the key new understanding is that fructose has no benefit and just goes to the liver for removal. Recognizing that I could get glucose elsewhere, and having fresh/frozen fruit that contains fructose was okay thanks to the fibre.

I read a lot of labels and learned to substitute. I’d eat an orange and have a glass of water instead of juice. Salsa without added sugar instead of ketchup.

Even though fat is more calorically dense than sugar, cutting out sugar had the effect of cutting out a lot of processed foods, including a lot of fat (ice cream, pastry, etc.).

Since this was a long-term lifestyle change rather than a diet, the weight stayed off. At least until the last year or two, when I started reintroducing junk food during the pandemic and gained back 20 lbs.

It does work though, and without counting calories. The fibre in the fruits and vegetables helps make food filling while being low in calories.

Nathan.

3 Likes

does rice contain sugar(for a lack of better term)?

2 Likes

Rice is complex carbs (sugar is simple carbs).

2 Likes

Keep in mind rice is high on the glycemic level, which impacts your blood glucose level and can contribute to things like insulin resistance - so you may want to avoid it :023:

Personally I would get my healthy carbs from things like fruit and honey however I would keep this low if the goal was weight loss, or increase fat burning exercises like deadlifts :weight_lifting_man:

I think deadlifts are one of the best exercises for all-round body composition:

2 Likes

This showed up on my YouTube feed and I though of this thread :smiley:

It also inspired me to do my first 24 hour fast :003: (I usually have two meals a day, so skipped my 2nd meal last night… next time I do it I will skip the second meal on the first day and the first meal on the second day, as I think that may fairly doable as well).

How are you getting on @amolith? Did you try anything after? Any success?

1 Like