Hardware purchases and hardware wish list

Dude, just get Manjaro. It’s brain-dead easy to start with, extremely well supported, you get all the benefits of the rolling releases minus the headaches (because Manjaro lags slightly behind Arch – on purpose), and they have a grandma-proof installer. Also offers you KDE, GNOME and XFCE installers. It has a customizable installer as well.

I used Manjaro on several VMs in the past and never had a hiccup, not once. That project is only getting better and better with time.

I now use it on my bare-metal mini-server at home ever since the start of December 2020 and the only time I actually had to pay attention was when OpenZFS was upgraded from v0.8 to 2.0 which basically only needed me to issue 2-3 commands on the command line. That was it. Manjaro itself upgraded flawlessly, advised me to to get a newer kernel (extremely easy with 1 command and then another to include all your current custom kernel modules in the new one as well).

Easiest and the most friendly Linux I used. Granted I am not a professional Linux sysadmin nor did I use like 20 distros but I used most of the popular ones – Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, openSUSE, Arch, and I know I am forgetting at least 3 more. Manjaro remains the nicest to use so far.

Addendum: for Docker containers I was pleasantly surprised by Ubuntu. They have a very minimalistic image which is hundreds of megabytes smaller than many others (sadly Manjaro’s as well).

1 Like