What tech topics do you think will (or should) be the focus of 2021?

As has been mentioned in this thread, I believe other people like myself will also want to go back to the roots of computer science and gain a bit more formal training in math.

There’s a huge market up for grabs that sits in-between “math for kids or busy people” and “math for professors”. Math is usually dropped by people because of bad pedagogy, i.e. bad teachers or simply material that’s hard to explain well to not academically inclined people.

The whole Machine Learning / Deep Learning area is a good example. There’s a lot of stuff that can be written in a more accessible manner – tensor calculus would be at the top I suppose. Also Bayesian probabilities and programming (for product recommendations, “more like this” sections etc.).

Obviously I am not a marketing person and can’t precisely gauge markets. But it does seem that there are many people like myself who got tired of “get started with X in half an afternoon!” fluff blog pieces and would like a bit more scientific material related to their day work, arranged and presented better than in school.

IMO, a good food for thought.

2 Likes