Fitness tracker platforms

I am thinking about getting a fitness tracker of some kind (probably one from Garmin). Have any of you developed your own widgets, watchfaces, or apps for smart watches or fitness trackers? Any advice for someone considering developing on wearables?

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

If you’re not 100% set on Garmin, have you thought about an Apple Watch? It could be a nice reason to get into Swift :003: …and you could make the next big app and make some money out of it :smiley:

3 Likes

Careful though, the linux support for those kind of sucks because Apple likes to close things down into their jail. Fitbit’s are pretty linux friendly though, but who knows if it will remain that way now that google bought them out…

2 Likes

I thought about an Apple Watch though the only Apple products in my house are from work (i.e. I don’t use for personal things). I don’t think Apple allows you to sync with Android devices (I could be wrong here). I don’t need a super smart watch either just something to track health and fitness metrics.

Garmin products are the most open with the data they track (as far as I can tell) and the devices I am looking into have pretty good battery life as well (some of them with 10+ day battery life).

Also I don’t really like square watches (squircle?) but that is just a personal preference.

I had a Fitbit awhile ago and I really like it (before Google acquired them). I’m a little sad that Fitbit now requires a subscription to view past data (who thought that was a good idea).

It looks like the Fitbit SDK is based on JavaScript, CSS, and SVG which is something I am more familiar with than the “Monkey C”? that Garmin uses.

2 Likes