EU regulators want 5 years of smartphone parts, much better batteries

Requiring parts and manuals access part of broader environmental initiative.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

Yes. I want my smartphone to last longer, although I still an old Windows Phone :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do my best not to buy a new smartphone within 5 years of an older phone. My iPhone X is 5 years old now I think - I replaced the battery and it works pretty much like new… except for one thing - Apple screwed up the fonts (made them smaller through an OS update) no doubt because they want people to buy their newer phones! (Changing them to a larger size in options is not the same - it makes them too big)

I always try to keep as long as possible with the same phone, but companies that use Android usually stop updating the OS after one or two years >=(

My last phone had an ok hardware yet, but the Android was still on version 8.1 x/

And iPhones are too expensives on third world ='(

1 Like

Now either you buy an expensive phone and you will not be able to enjoy the new features for years. It becomes a bit messy if you are a tech guy, because you will lose a chance to try some latest features.

Or you try to buy a middle-to-low end phone, you will need to replace it and transfer data regularly 2~3 years. However, you will enjoy some more latest features.

Of course if you have both time and money, you can buy a new phone every year…

1 Like

Really? That’s awful! I’ve had my iPhone X for 5 years now and it’s still supported by Apple iOS updates. After replacing the battery it works pretty much like new too (other than slight but obvious slowdowns which is probably done on purpose to get people to buy new ones). My only real criticism is that they made the text smaller, and it’s the number one reason why I’d want to get a new phone (but I am trying to resist!)

I’m not really missing anything with my 5 year old iPhone X tbh - not hardware feature wise anyway. Camera’s good enough for what I want, OLED display is great (other than them screwing up the font size!) battery life is great as well now with a £23 DIY replacement :lol:

1 Like