Development Environments

It’s 2022. Today, developing a library, an application or a service is a totally different experience from what it used to be only a few years ago. Every professional engineer or programmer is expected to know tools like git, a coding editor, a terminal to run various commands, like compiling, testing, etc. You might also know a lot of people (if you are not one already) using modern editors and IDEs, such as VS Code, IntelliJ, etc.

I belong to the category of people who enjoy composing tools. That is, I don’t use an IDE: I make my own IDE by combining several tools I like. In the end, we all use “IDEs” (we all need some kind of development environment). For the sake of generality, I will call those environments “DE” for development environments.

The tools I use are, basically:

• A terminal. Lately, I’ve been enjoying kitty a lot, for it allows me to do almost everything I do with tmux (read below).
  • A shell. I’m using zsh mostly but I’ve been playing with others, such as nushell. I’m dissatisfied with zsh because I think it’s way more too complicated (I barely use 10% of its features).
  • A text editor. I’ve been using lots lately, but mainly, vim / neovim.
  • A git client. I simply use the git CLI (Command Line Interface) program, but also fugitive in neovim.
  • A couple of other programs, such as fzf, CLI of various package managers and compilers, etc.
  • I have plugins in neovim for note taking and task management, but I’ve also been using Notion at work lately to try it out.
  • I used to use tmux a lot but I’m moving away from it, so I’m basically left with kitty’s own way to do the same thing.

The more that I think about…

Read in full here:

https://phaazon.net/blog/development-environments

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.