Can I use Linux for gaming?

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

Hey,

I used to use Manjaro for gaming since it has a very good support for it.
Also you can try Pop_OS!.

With Lutris you can play almost any games. I used to play GTAV etc.
I also used GWE to over clock my GPU.

And with the help of Proton DB you can check the support of your favorite game on Linux.

What a thrilling period right?

3 Likes

Hey Maartz,

Thanks for sharing this useful information.

Although, I haven’t heard of these two Lutris and Pop_OS, because I don’t use Linux. But after researching these programs, I discovered that these two are excellent for gaming on Linux.

One more thing, would it be fine to replace my Windows operating system with Linux, or should I get a new one? Someone suggested me a prebuilt gaming PC, and here is a reference given by him: Shop For Best Prebuilt Gaming PC | Lenovo UK

What do you think about prebuilt PC for gaming that is compatible with Linux? Any ideas?

2 Likes

Well, tbh I’ve used a desktop and not a laptop to play.

I’ve always got a bad experience with laptops for gaming, heat, battery life, etc.

You can incrementally adopt Linux without dropping Windows with a dual boot. It will let you test drive if it worth it without a sweat.

3 Likes

Sounds great! Thanks

3 Likes

I didn’t know there was Lunix. I thought you were referring to Linux. Could it run Steam games?

2 Likes

Yahh, Its linux it was a mistake in typing :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I don’t know

Check it out -

Steam Support :: Supported Games for Steam for Linux.

2 Likes

Native games - absolutely no problem, especially the open source projects. They are well optimized, configurable and have lots of features as long as you said project gives some attention and time. :+1:

Wine - depends, that’s never ending story. However if a game is fully supported then it can be even faster than on Windows. Also backwards compatibility on Windows is a joke comparing to how it works on wine. GTA San Andreas with some mods on Windows 7 could have even a black screen issue (so I could only use main menu) and work on Linux without literally any problem (I made a clear copy and did not modified any files). :wine_glass:

However obviously not every game is popular and community support may be different. Therefore I would recommend joining a bigger community and therefore use the most popular distributions like Ubuntu, so you have a best chance to have a really good community help for lots of games. :thinking:

There are Steam, proton project and SteamOS. I would say that in general where you can smell the money there should be a really good support. However if you play the same games all the time and you know how to make them playable (sometimes just one good winetricks call to fetch some dlls) then most probably you don’t even need to pay and you can use the games you already bought with pure wine:moneybag:

I would recommend to avoid a game packs like Unreal Anthology - I was need to “play” with it (especially cab files) before I made it working whereas all of the titles standalone are much more simple. I have no idea about other DVDs like that, but I guess it also could be the same. :tired_face:

I can recommend fceux if NES games are your childhood. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I’ve been running Linux for two years now (switched from a decade+ on MacOS), and can say that it can run most games with no to small problems, some games run even better on Linux than on Windows.

Distro is a personal preference. I had some issues re gaming on Pop_OS (otherwise it is a very solid distro for beginners), Manjaro tends to break after a while. Other distros to look into are Fedora (and Nobara - a distro based on Fedora made specifically for gaming, by the developer of Proton-GE), as well as EndeavourOS (Arch based rolling distro, what I am currently using).

To check which games can run on Linux, I also recommend the ProtonDB.
To use Proton-GE, there is a GUI frontend ProtonUp-qt.

For example, the game I play 99% of my gaming time - X4 Foundations - has a native version, and by some accounts it runs better on Linux than Win.

No need to ditch Win completely, try a dual boot solution.

Not sure about the pre-built gaming PCs. Though there are/can be problems with very new hardware that do not yet have proper Linux drivers. Had some issues (that had workarounds) when I bought a Lenovo Legion laptop a couple of years ago.

3 Likes

I’ve been linux exclusive since 2006, dual booted before.
Linux plays almost everything perfectly now except those with the nasty kernel-virus-style-drm stuff (which is surprisingly rare, most DRM’s work fine, it’s just those few garbage ones, and I won’t support companies that use that garbage anyway even if I were using windows), and it especially plays older stuff better than windows itself does, by a large margin in surprisingly many cases.

But just get a Steamdeck, lol, you can hook it up to a monitor and all and use it like a desktop, but it’s all set up and optimized for linux gaming already.

4 Likes

Hello, this is Gulshan Negi
Well, recently, windows are the more settled and generally upheld working operating system for gaming as compared to Linux; however, you can also develop games on Linux. Most computer games are created and improved for Windows, and you’ll find better design driver support, bigger game stores, and a bigger gaming local area on this stage. If gaming is your primary focus and you want a seamless gaming experience with the broadest range of compatibility and performance, Windows is the recommended choice.
Thanks

1 Like

Lots of games can only run on Windows.
Some of them support both platforms.
I seldom heard games that only support Linux.

1 Like

This is really hard.

1 Like

I was thinking of getting a Linux machine before the end of the year, and really happy that it supports gaming too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

you can or you can visit my website it’s suitable for all types of emulators romskostelos

1 Like

If your game library is on Steam, then you can enable Proton compatibility for all games, and most of the games will play just fine. Including recent AAA games, like Starfield and Baldur’s Gate 3. If you run into any issues, just search through the ProtonDB.

4 Likes

If gaming is your primary focus, Windows is the better choice. While Linux has made progress, Windows offers broader game compatibility and better support for gaming.

1 Like

It depends on the games, but I played some games on Linux even on a laptop without a graphics card. Mainly Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2, which ran well.

Stadia worked on Linux until it shut down. I haven’t tried it, but NVIDIA has another service that looks like it might be similar: NVIDIA GeForce NOW

1 Like

Yes, you can definitely use Linux for gaming! While Windows has historically been the dominant platform for gamers, Linux has made significant strides in recent years and now offers a more viable and enjoyable gaming experience than ever before.

1 Like

Hello, It’s great to see you exploring different operating systems for gaming! The choice between Linux and Windows for gaming can indeed be a pivotal one, depending on your specific needs and preferences.

Linux has made significant strides in gaming, thanks especially to initiatives like Proton by Valve, which allows many Windows-based games to run on Linux through the Steam platform. The open-source nature of Linux can offer more control over your system, potentially leading to better performance and customization. However, it’s important to note that not all games, especially the latest AAA titles, may have native Linux support, and those that do might not perform identically to their Windows counterparts.

On the other hand, Windows has traditionally been the go-to platform for gaming, mainly due to its broad compatibility with game titles, drivers, and gaming hardware. DirectX, a suite of multimedia technologies required by many games, is also a Windows exclusive, which can mean better optimization and performance for certain games.

If you’re considering the switch, I’d recommend checking the compatibility of your favorite games on Linux or considering dual-booting, which allows you to have both Windows and Linux on the same machine. This way, you can enjoy the flexibility and features of Linux while retaining access to the comprehensive game library on Windows.

Would love to hear more about your gaming preferences and if you decide to give Linux a try!

1 Like