Build Websites with Hugo: Code will not run in a working Hugo setup

Hello Brian,

I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as a complete beginner with Hugo but quite experienced with linux. I bought the book a few days ago and I looking forward to reviewing it on amazon.

I have repeatedly failed to register with forum.devtalk.com. When I attempt to “Create New Account” the message “Incorrect username, email or password appears” nothwithstanding that each of these is ticked as OK beside the box. As a result, I am trying to contact you directly.
Finally, today I have discovered that if I use Chrome I can create a devtalk account! But not with FIrefox or Opera.

Setup:
$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME=“Linux Mint”
VERSION=“19.3 (Tricia)”
ID=linuxmint
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME=“Linux Mint 19.3”
VERSION_ID=“19.3”
VERSION_CODENAME=tricia
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

(base) ian…:~$ hugo version
Hugo Static Site Generator v0.68.3-157669A0/extended linux/amd64 BuildDate: 2020-03-24T12:13:38Z
(base) ian… :~$ go version
Command ‘go’ not found, but can be installed with: sudo apt install golang-go

Before I start I should point out that I can carry out all the tutorial and the demo site and downloaded code fines for the website: https://zwbetz.com/make-a-hugo-blog-from-scratch/

When I run up to page 8 in “Build Websiteswith Hugo” book “hugo server” I get the screen at bottom of p7 as expected with localhost:1313 in Firefox or Opera, both the latest.

As soon as I move on to "Creating Content using Archetypes to the end of the chapter the above commands give the same screen but without the “About” line which should be there.

When I run any of the code downloaded from the book website I get a blank screen and an empty index.html file generated in the public directory, This occurs in the setup above and a fresh install of LinuxMint20 with hugo installed from Synaptic.

I have run my entered code for “Kicking the Tires” in the above setup and also a fresh updated install of LinuxMint20 with hugo setup as above with the same problem of no About section.

The same behaviour occurs with different ways of installing hugo and updating hugo to the latest version, .74 I think, and updating golang.

I assume that something is wrong with the setup but it is odd that it occurs in two completely separate installs of Linux.

Please help me. I would send you copies of files but I am not sure where hugo keeps it logs and so on.

Below are some lines of code. I do not understand the warning message and whether it is relevant.

Kind wishes, Ian

#########################################################################

$ hugo version
Hugo Static Site Generator v0.68.3-157669A0/extended linux/amd64 BuildDate: 2020-03-24T12:13:38Z

~/hugo_sites/portfolio$ hugo server
Building sites … WARN 2020/09/10 15:45:39 found no layout file for “HTML” for kind “taxonomyTerm”: You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2020/09/10 15:45:39 found no layout file for “HTML” for kind “taxonomyTerm”: You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.

| EN
-------------------±----
Pages | 5
Paginator pages | 0
Non-page files | 0
Static files | 0
Processed images | 0
Aliases | 0
Sitemaps | 1
Cleaned | 0

Built in 3 ms
Watching for changes in /home/ian/hugo_sites/portfolio/{archetypes,content,data,layouts,static}
Watching for config changes in /home/ian/hugo_sites/portfolio/config.toml
Environment: “development”
Serving pages from memory
Running in Fast Render Mode. For full rebuilds on change: hugo server --disableFastRender
Web Server is available at http://localhost:1313/ (bind address 127.0.0.1)
Press Ctrl+C to stop

############# Firefox output (About is missing )################

Brian’s Portfolio

This is my portfolio

On this site you will find

• My biography
  • My projects
  • My resume