Being Humane in Tech - Sascha Wolf

It’s a nice talk!
I remember when I was new to coding, I genuinely wanted to contribute to an open source project I used and liked. My first pull request made little sense. Maybe that was the reason, or maybe the maintainer was actually that rude, but his response was always rude after that. Several times I tried to contribute and every time he closed the request saying nothing or after adding a rude comment like, “This is wrong”, without explaining further.
After some failed attempts I worked harder and twice made some meaningful changes, but both of the times he commented that those changes made sense but this version will only accept security fixes.
He could pull those changes just to make that newcomer (me) happy, because those pull requests were adding two small new features and weren’t breaking anything existing.
Looking back at it, it doesn’t make much sense now, but back then it meant the world to me to contribute to an open source project I actively used.

Throughout my career I mentored many students and juniors, rarely refused students or juniors asking for help with learning something or fixing broken code, but never tried to contribute to some open source project after that, except fixing some typos.

3 Likes