Are you sugar free?

What about going sugar free?
My sugar intake is zero for the last two months and I feel awesome. I do consume natural sugar though, in the form of fruits like watermelon and bananas.

5 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

Great topic DG! I’ve moved it to a dedicated thread :nerd_face:

Some people think (processed) sugar is the devil - and I’d probably agree! Even ‘natural’ sugar in foods like fruit is much higher than what our ancestors would have consumed - but moving to fruits from candy is of course much better (in part, because fruit contains enzymes which help you digest it).

With regards to the main question, I do not consume any processed sugar myself (or processed food for that matter - I make everything from scratch). I’ll only have a bit of fruit in the summer - because I know I’ll be doing a lot of walking and so will work off any excess calories/negate some of the downsides.

Keep in mind carbs basically become sugar too - potatoes are actually higher on the glycemic level that sugar itself!! (So mininising carbs could be a nice next step for you? :blush:)

4 Likes

I promised I will lose 10kg in the beginning of the year and gained 15kg instead.

Since end of May I started a more protein less carbs diet, feeling great. Lost 5 kilos in 2 weeks. And yes, I’m almost 0 on Sugar too

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to at least drastically reduce my processed sugar intake over the past few months. However, my total sugar intake has probably increased over the past year or so, as I’ve been making mead, thereby ingesting more natural sugars from honey. :slight_smile: Aside from that, I’ve been trying to cut way back on the caffeine, no longer having coffee every morning out of habit (which also means a couple teaspoons less sugar to go into that), plus going to the gym 2-3x/week since it reopened, so the health effects of any one thing would be hard to measure. But, aside from achy knees, I’m feeling a bit better, and losing a few waist inches.

5 Likes

I don’t have white sugar at home so am practically processed sugar free. Used to buy chocolate bars and they all have sugar, even the 90% ones but I’ve stopped.

Actually, I think a little table sugar isn’t going to hurt once in a while, as long as you don’t make it a habit. There is this whole sect of ‘frugivores’ which I was once attracted to (on a low carb / low calorie diet) but now that my mind is much clearer on a normalish diet :sweat_smile: I find it unnecessary.

I think that if you exercise regularly (referring to cardio, not resistance) then it doesn’t matter that much as your body burns that sugar off. But I think the science is clear that too much sugar and a sedentary lifestyle is not healthy.

3 Likes

I am a sweet tooth. I love chocolates and ice cream. :frowning:

3 Likes

I still believe that everything in moderation and a balanced diet works.

3 Likes

I remember not eating sugar for a whole week and feeling amazing. Now I’m nervous a lot, so I eat sweets. lol

2 Likes

My sugar intake was zero for 8 to 9 month. After I suffered from Dengue fever at the end of the last year, I resumed taking sugar. I do exercise more now.

3 Likes

What about having some fruit instead? :003:

I hope you’re fully recovered now DG!

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:
Yes, I’m fully recovered now.

3 Likes

my GF is on a low sugar diet, other day she made a lemonade without sugar, and it was so “strong” that my teeth started to ache =’(

2 Likes

I’m guilty of eating too much rice, that’s still sugar, right?

3 Likes

I was thinking the same.

This video helps me to understand more about health, especially fasting, refined sugar, and sleep.

3 Likes

I cannot stop eating sugar… this is the source of fast energy for my brain

2 Likes

I’ve mostly cut out sugary and processed foods to the extent that, say, black coffee actually tastes sweet now. Edit: maybe I should say that I taste the sweetness in black coffee. When eating out I avoid sauces generally (corn syrup, etc.) and try to order dishes with just a few ingredients. I’m a salad monster – a.k.a. rabbit – but also minimize store-bought dressing, even Japanese, instead go for xv olive oil, vinegar and real mustard for example, and that’s mostly to avoid sugars (as well as subpar oils).

But I do down a lot of blueberries, and other berries, usually with plain yogurt. Wish someone would develop a less sweet and more tangy version but would it sell?

A Coca-Cola tastes garishly sweet to me now, it’s interesting how relative it is. The lurid and gaudy flavors of sweetened processed foods really can drown out other areas of the palate. It’s like shining a bright red light on a subtle painting: the other colors disappear into shadows of themselves.

From what I understand it takes a few weeks for you to adjust, but I can say that currently I usually don’t eat at all until after 2pm, often not until dinner, and I feel energetic in the mornings. I do drink coffee, water, tea.

2 Likes

I know what you mean! :lol:

It’s funny have your palate adjusts and you begin to notice even the most nuanced differences in flavours / sweetness. You get a similar experience after cutting out artificial flavours/enhancers, like MSG.

Do you find you get a bloated feeling quite a bit? Plants have some insane defence chemicals that can wreak havoc in your digestive system. When I went to carnivore I noticed a weird feeling in my tummy - the best way to describe it is the opposite of feeling bloated even though you never felt very bloated before. It’s quite a weird feeling and something most people comment about when they go on carnivore :upside_down_face:

I love blueberries, especially with steak :003:

(That ‘and’ should probably be ‘along with’ - the effect is when the two are combined.)

But going back to yoghurt, why not make your own? Making your own results in higher probiotic count (if you ferment for 24 hours) and you can put blueberries in there just before you refrigerate :023:

I have one of these:

And look what’s in their promo graphic:

If that’s not a sign I don’t know what is :lol:

2 Likes

I’m sure about bloated but yeah, it can all just, how shall i put it, pass through my system very quickly… But if I eat whole grains – I throw raw oats and a mix of grains, dark rices, wild rices into the rice cooker and get a kind of (very tasty) rice substitute. Why rice substitute? I’m in a rice country…

You’re right, I should do this. Umm… steak and beer?? Oh my…

2 Likes

You should try Kimchi too Mallory! I quite enjoyed that when I was having roasted duck/veg :003:

2 Likes