Apple Spring Loaded Event - April 20 / 2021

Currently unveiling new iPads…

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

New iMacs looks nice…

They also added the M1 to the iPad… so why not allow it to run macOS as well :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I want to try AirTags as a tracking device for my mother’s dog who is a class 1 escape artist!

/waits patiently for airtag collars :dog:

2 Likes

I don’t really get the use case for AirTags, other than the occasional tracking the dog or forgetting the keys. At $99 (for 4) I think it’s a bit more of a novelty than actually useful?

3 Likes

Are we not talking about the fact that they had to place the phone jack on the side, because it’s deeper than the screen is? :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Sounds like a good use-case!

Not sure about using it as a theft-prevention/tracking device tho if Apple will alert anyone with an iPhone that a tag is nearby :expressionless:

Bicycles, laptop bags etc? Tho again, if Apple notify people they have an airtag ‘with them’ then anyone stealing such an item will be alerted and just find it and remove it. So yeah, I think I might agree that it could be useless - can’t see anyone buying them for keys etc.

…or that unlike previous iMacs you can’t upgrade the HD or RAM yourself (but yeah it’s super thin :joy:)

Do wonder why they didn’t just put all the electronics in the stand and lose the chin? This would mean that if the screen dies it could be much easier to get a replacement (which they could sell themselves and/or even variations).

2 Likes

What I’m hoping for is that in iOS 14.5/15 they add Shortcuts support for them so that you can trigger action based on your proximity to a selected air tag. This could unlock some interesting automations.

4 Likes

Sounds cool! What sort of stuff did you have in mind Law?

2 Likes

I already have some automations related to various morning routines or starting work. It would be great if there was presence detection that was more specific than a simple contact or motion sensor. For example, instead of when anyone opens the door to my office my work lights turn on, this would only happen when I entered the room (during normal work hours and days).

3 Likes

Tracking lost items like designer handbags, camera kit bags, golf clubs or other expensive items seems like the best use-case to me but as @AstonJ said theres not much point if the thief also has an iphone and is alerted to be being tracked.

2 Likes

Yeah, according to Apple it’s all about stuff that you’ve lost. Once separated from you after three days that’s when it will start chirping. It will only alert someone sooner than that if it’s continuously with them and they have an IPhone (if I understand correctly this is the only way it knows that it seems to be following someone). The point behind this is that they don’t want someone using an Airtag to stalk/track someone else.

It’s not meant as a theft deterrent. Additionally It can be disabled really easily, considering it has a user replaceable battery.

3 Likes

Yeah, totally, but I like most of the new iPad with M1 architecture.

3 Likes

Thats fair but…

I personally cannot see much use for it other than an anti theft or lost property measure. Will follow your progress with interest though! :wink:

3 Likes

I hope they could be to use the macOS on iPad Pro with a few adjustments and focus on tech industry, because most tablets isn’t good enough to use as an option instead of notebooks…

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: iPad Pro as a main working device?