Which one between Flutter and NativeScript is easier once you learn Dart and TypeScript?

If there is no barrier of the language. Or consider one knows both Dart and TypeScript equally, which of the two platforms (Flutter and NativeScript) will be easier to get started with and keep up with?
In which case you will consider Flutter over NativeScript and vice versa?

2 Likes

Flutter seems to have a lot more people using it atm @pillaiindu - and this usually equates to more books, videos, resources etc. For instance there’s @carminezacc’s #book-programming-flutter but I don’t know of any NativeScript books.

However as mentioned in response to @DevotionGeo’s post I would delve a little deeper into both and see which one you prefer yourself… but if I were choosing right now I would be leaning more towards Flutter because I really like learning from books :smiley:

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

There was a blog post titled How NativeScript works which isn’t there now, but you can find it at this link at web.archive[dot]org.
To know how flutter works, read Flutter architectural overview.

It’s not an answer to your question, but I think knowing how something works is more important than how “easy” something is.

3 Likes

OK, one more question.

Is there any good new book or video course on Dart. All the books and videos I found are from 2019 or earlier.

2 Likes

The book @AstonJ mentioned, Programming Flutter, contains an Introduction to Dart (Appendix 1), which is enough to get started with the book.

Edit:
For NativeScript, I suggest starting with NativeScripting free courses.

3 Likes

I am still confused which one to start with. :confused:

1 Like

You can get a pretty good sense of what the learning curve of a tech stack is by spending a few days or a week with it solving a small real world app problem. For example, building a login screen of an app will give a sense of laying out a screen, navigation, calling a data endpoint, and how easy it is to find information in the api and docs to solve a problem.

Considering how long it takes to build an app, spending that initial 20-40 hours in solving an app problem is the best sense you going to get because other people will come to either of these frameworks with different mindsets, backgrounds, and more importantly the ability to learn faster based on experience.

As an example, I wouldn’t even advise anyone coming to mobile learning a cross platform framework first without learning native. But again, my background with using cross platform frameworks is what influences that opinion. (I’m currently have been doing mobile dev for the last 5 years after doing web dev for 13 years)

2 Likes