Gathering team members for my project?

I’ve been working on and rewriting my messaging platform several times for the past two years. With Discords new rebranding, it has really put a bunch on pressure on me because I see more and more new and modern alternatives popping up. :grimacing:

I figured that it’s time to get at least one team member in order to start going places. But none of my friends use Elixir. :sweat_smile:

So, I’m here to ask, on a forum where I somewhat know the people: Are any of you interested in a (currently) unpaid position to help me out with my backend? :eyes:

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Man, I wish I wasn’t working for money. I’d help but as it is right now, I barely get enough time to pay proper attention to my missus. :frowning:

3 Likes

Oof, was kinda hoping for you and AstonJ because you’re the ones I see the most on here :joy:

2 Likes

There are a few threads about mentoring on EF that you might find useful @Jsdr3398 : Search results for 'mentor' - Elixir Programming Language Forum :smiley:

As you can probably guess such schemes are often popular so you may find you’re in a queue - but while waiting, why not read some books? I am a self taught programmer who learnt through books and other online resources …if I can do it anyone can :+1:

2 Likes

Gonna check it out :eyes:
You’re the reason to why I even bought an elixir book :rofl:

But the thing is, two is (almost) always better than one, I’m a bit slow at times and feel like having another person would really help, big time! :joy:

2 Likes

I suggest another approach. Write down a plan for the project and call out for help on EF when you’re stuck on a task.

Because right now I couldn’t commit to regular coaching even if I was being paid for it. I suspect it’s the same story for most of the working programmers on EF.

But people there almost always help when you’re stuck and need help with something more concrete.

4 Likes

It’s so boring to write anything down though :weary::rofl:
I’ve written since stuff down, but i assume you mean something more like a Trello than a document with features? :eyes:

2 Likes

More like both. :laughing:

But what kind of a written form would the planning be in doesn’t matter much, as long as it’s planned.

IMO that’s your best option to have people help you but I might be wrong. There’s likely still people who are free enough to coach and help you with code.

4 Likes