HTML Tips (2020)

In this article, I will share with you some very useful HTML tips . Enjoy!
** Post will be updated regularly with new tips!*

1. The loading=lazy attribute
  2. Email, call, and SMS links
  3. Ordered lists start attribute
  4. The meter element
  5. HTML Native Search
  6. Fieldset Element
  7. Window.opener
  8. Base Element
  9. Favicon cache busting
  10. The spellcheck attribute

Read about the rest here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

6 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

3 Likes

Some great tips here! :+1:

2 Likes

Yep! It’s funny to see how often people jump to comparatively very slow and battery inefficient javascript just to do what’s natively built in, all in the name of keeping compat with the now unused IE. ^.^;

2 Likes

Good point! Maybe it would be a good idea if the author included a note about compatibility with each item in the list as well. Modern browsers are usually quite good (tho Safari is becoming a bit like IE!)

4 Likes

Yeah, the datalist tag in #5 doesn’t work in Firefox and Safari.

3 Likes

According to:
https://caniuse.com/datalist

It works in the TR of Safari, so “soon” I guess, and it “works” in firefox in certain contexts right now, but not other contexts.

4 Likes

Many people (what, who, me, yup!) haven’t kept up with what’s new in HTML, since learning it long ago. I for one am mainly a back-end dev, so I rarely need any fancy-shmancy HTML5 stuff… so on those rare occasions when I do have to at least server-render a page, there are often things that a more recently-updated front-ender could improve on.

3 Likes

I just stay away from JS when at all possible (unpoly.js is quite literally about all I stick to if any). If I think I need to do something in JS for looks or so, I google for how to do it in html and css and there’s almost always a way, and for the very very few things there aren’t (like really surprisingly few) then I try to consider if it’s worth eating up people’s batteries even faster for it and choose against that, lol.

3 Likes