The Future of Operating Systems

Linux was first started in 1991, 29-and-a-half years ago. The POSIX standard, which Linux implements, was started in 1988, 33 years ago. Both of these technologies have seen very little evolution in the core of their design over time, despite all the progresses made in software engineering and computer science.

In this article, I will examine, topic by topic, why all the current popular operating system are in my opinion obsolete, and what to replace them with.

Disclaimer: while I know a thing or two about computers, I am in no way an expert in operating systems. I’ve never been interested in the exploration of a wide range of operating systems. Their design feels wrong to me, for the reasons exposed in this article. There will probably be unintended exaggeration and falsities, and I apologize in advance for them.

https://tomaka.medium.com/the-future-of-operating-systems-efa31e17d66d

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1360400383743582211

Share link for this tweet.

Looks like we’re not the only ones thinking about new operating systems :laughing:

3 Likes

The author of the article is writing a new OS:

The redshirt operating system is an experiment to build some kind of operating-system-like environment where executables are all in Wasm and are loaded from an IPFS-like decentralized network.

2 Likes

That sounds pretty neat!

At some point we should go through all of the new and up and coming #operating-systems and set some portals up for the ones that look most promising or the ones we want to keep track of :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I am not very impressed by all these modern OS-es. I want something better than what we have now but truthfully, the Linux kernel is amazing, and nothing else outside Linux / macOS / Windows comes even 10% close to device compatibility.

So if we get those new OS-es they’ll likely have very strict requirements for hardware generations which might also be a good thing – it depends.

I especially applaud the Rust-based OS efforts. But an OS stepping on IPFS? That is f**ked up; the IPFS organization fully cooperates with governments and even corporations and they take down files without much scrutiny. I wouldn’t want a state actor to remove my drivers from the net because they don’t like them for some reason. :confused:

3 Likes

I agree. But an os where everything is a web app/is fetched from the web does sound pretty cool and futuristic :astonished:

1 Like

IPFS has failed as an experiment. Their idea is sound but the real software has many deficiencies.

Try downloading something off of IPFS. It might take you 10 minutes to even find where to download it from…

2 Likes

Yeah, i wanted to include that it sounds great, but actually isn’t. IPFS has a lot in common with communism :rofl:

Speaking of whatever this is called, how would I make my own internet thingamajig?

1 Like