Microsoft researched what made employees happy, collaborate less, more autonomy

Microsoft researched what made employees truly happy. One result was startling.
Redmond went very deep into the numbers – and the feelings. What emerged was the potential debunking of a popular concept.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Clickbait title for an article apparently written by and for extroverts. Ask any dev over 40, from back before software development became “cool” so the extroverts came flooding in, and we’ll tell you.

DUH, YEAH, leave us the hell alone to do our damn jobs, and we’ll be a lot happier. Leave the water-cooler chit-chat to the sales-bros and marketing babblers, cancel the useless meetings with pointy-haired bosses that don’t understand what we’re saying (or even what we do), we’re happy in our caves talking to machines that make sense, do what we tell them to (so if they don’t do what we want, it’s our own fault for “phrasing” it wrong, not their being ornery), and (at least when we tell them to) get to the point and don’t get offended about it.

Ask a dev under 30 and you may get a different answer though.

6 Likes

23 here, but still like what you’ve written for 40+ :joy:

3 Likes

This is why I tend to be happier just doing my own thing - less stress and I’m much more passionate about what I’m doing.

2 Likes

100% agree with you. We are a small team of programmers of various ages working from home, we have like one group video meeting per week and one in person meeting per month to have lunch. It works great!

3 Likes

I am an introvert, so I prefer working for a small company and a small team.

2 Likes