Media Storage and CDN with Phoenix and Elixir

In building lofi.limo, media storage and distribution naturally came up. I have songs, announcements, and background image loops which I want to store and distribute to listeners. Let’s take a look at how I’ve been able to do both without getting too fancy or spending too much money.

7 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

@StuntProgrammer thank you for mentioning Tarsnap - is a storage where you pay for what you use. I might be using it in the future.

I have a question about them.

There are no other fees — Tarsnap has no fixed costs or minimum monthly fees.

You pay for what you use, nothing more.

So if I upload a 1gb movie there, I will pay just for 1gb storage once without a monthly fee?
But I will also pay when downloading the file?

2 Likes

There’s no /minimum/ monthly fee. There are charges for transfer in and out as well as for storage. In the scenario you describe, you’d pay for the upload, the download, and for storage as long as the data is in Tarsnap.

Transfer is billed by the byte (currently $0.00000000025/byte) and storage by the byte-month (currently $0.00000000025/byte-month).

So for your example, you’d pay $0.25 for the upload, $0.25 for the download, and $0.25 for each month the data is stored (supposing a GB is 1,000,000,000 bytes).

2 Likes

Is the link to this post alive?

2 Likes

It seems to be. Is it giving you trouble?

3 Likes

It worked now.

2 Likes