Have you made any new year resolutions?

Whether related to dev/tech or not :upside_down_face:

I generally donā€™t make new year resolutions (as I tend to just make changes as and when I want to) but something I have already started to do (so prob counts as a resolution!) is stop taking my laptop to bed with me! Itā€™s just too tempting to stay up as thereā€™s always something to do or something to look at and I was ending up staying up way too late.

I wonder how long it will last :rofl:

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1343559337944510469

Share link for this tweet.

1. To be more serious about Baguazhang (An internal form of Kung-fu)
  2. Start losing weight (target: 20 Kg)
2 Likes

Not really a new year resolution, but a while ago i signed up for a half marathon in spring, so I need to get my fitness level and weight back to where it was in autumn of 2019, 2020 hasnā€™t been good to my body :smiley:

3 Likes

This year I have decided to read more tech books. A boring resolution I know :nerd_face:

2 Likes

How about joining our Erlang book club? :wink:

1 Like

ā€¦ then our Rust one after that? :rofl:

Seriously tho I think thatā€™s great @finner - I intend to do a lot of learning/reading next year too as I want to catch up with whatā€™s ā€˜newā€™ on the scene, from things like CSS & JS all the way to new tech and languages like Rust and WASM.

I think itā€™s going to be a fun year! (Hope I havenā€™t jinxed it now!!)

Maybe later on in the year @Rainer , but for the moment I am going to be concentrating on the JVM ecosystem. Depending on how many brain cells are left I might join you. I know nothing about Erlang so it would be interesting.

1 Like

We have a Rust one?

1 Like

Not yetā€¦ hopefully after weā€™ve finished Programming Erlang - youā€™ll be joining us tho, right? :nerd:

Erm, Rust and Haskell, there were so many times I attempted learning them and walked away after a few days, I decided to give up on them.

1 Like

Ah no donā€™t say that! Maybe 2021 and our book club will be the year you see it through :nerd_face:

I was thinking of reading ā€œA Common Sense Guide to Data Structure and Algorithmā€ after Erlang and implement them with a language I know/learned (maybe Erlang?). Got the idea from that Advent of Code thread.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve considered that book too :nerd: perhaps we should start a general ā€˜Which books shall we start a book club forā€™ thread and then people can post suggestions of books theyā€™re interested in and anyone who thinks they may be up for them too can say :smiley:

Yeah that will be great. We may even end up with more than one book threads where people can form clubs around? I wanted to dedicate this year behind algorithms and data structures. So I would lean towards the ā€œCommon Senseā€ book and the Maze book (I really want to read these two, if the authors are here: Thank you!).

1 Like

Yep! We can have more than one book club on the go and even if nobody else is interested we can simply start our own Journal threads where we can document our journeys :nerd_face:

Iā€™m interested in A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms, Second Edition (PragProg) too, particularly as it will also cover Ruby:

I wonder if the book would be applicable to functional programming languages too? (Any thoughts @jaywengrow?) :blush:

Where are the book clubs? Are they the same as the Journals?

1 Like

Thanks for considering A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms, Second Edition: for a book club - it delighted me to see that!

The book is certainly relevant for functional programming languages too. While I wrote most of the code in object-oriented style, the core concepts are relevant for virtually all languages. It might be an interesting exercise to adapt some of the algorithms and write them in functional style.

I hope that helps!

-Jay

1 Like

We can use the Journals section for them Finner :smiley: Currently there is only one book club (Programming Erlang Book Club) but I am sure weā€™ll start more soon. When I get a chance Iā€™ll post a general thread about book clubs so we can all throw in ideas and see which ones others might be interested in :blush:

Ah nice! I wonder if perhaps it might be worth you writing an accompany blog post or something that highlights any differences or anything you might do differently in a functional language? (Assuming itā€™s not already covered in the book).

When I saw your video on the PragProg site it immediately reminded me of this one by Joe Armstrong:

(I guess some things may need to change for functional languages that are immutable like Elixir and Erlang - hence wondering whether an accompanying blog post might be worth doing?) :smiley: