CentOS Project shifts focus to CentOS Stream

A new CentOS blog post/announcement has been posted!

Get the full details here: CentOS Project shifts focus to CentOS Stream – Blog.CentOS.org

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1336310205173403649

Share link for this tweet.

Related portal:

2 Likes

Sad day for CentOS - I think most now will jump to Debian :cry:

Some of the ‘popular’ comments to provide additional info (don’t think I’ve seen a single one supporting this move):

I have been using CentOS for over 10 years and one of the things I loved about it was how stable it has been. Now, instead of being a stable release, it is changing to the beta testing ground for RHEL 8. And instead of 10 years of a support you need to update to the latest dot release. This has me, very concerned.

This is dumb. The entire premise and the only reason anyone uses CentOS is because it’s rebuilt RHEL. Congratulations on undermining that…

I guess my argument “Use CentOS, not Ubuntu if you want most stable production” is out of the window now.

This is disappointing and frustrating. If I wanted something that tracked ahead of RHEL, I would use Fedora. I use CentOS because it tracks after RHEL, with all of the benefits thereof.

That said, how is CentOS Stream different from Fedora since they both track ahead of RHEL and therefore seem to meet the same need, and how does it provide value for us, the end users?

Unlike CentOS, Fedora doesn’t have to make decisions about what to ship or not ship based on Red Hat’s desire to support things.

btrfs, *-devel, and samba-dc immediately come to mind.

Why make CentOS Stream the primary innovation hub for the RHEL ecosystem when you already have Fedora for that. CentOS has always been a fully open sourced rebuild of the stable enterprise-ready RHEL and this is what drives such high demand for it. If it’s not as production ready as RHEL then what’s the reason for using it going forward? People will just switch to Debian.

1 Like

https://centos.rip

:cry:

Edit:

This is an excellent write-up:

And the good news;

1 Like

Anyone use CentOS Stream?

2 Likes