We need more books on how to read code

Few days ago I watched Felienne Hermans’ video at Manning titled How to read confusing code. She was pointing out that new developers are taught how to write code, but not how to read code. I didn’t yet read her book The Programmer’s Brain, but I can say that will be a great book to read.

Today I saw a book from Manning titled How to Read Java. This is a very good new trend and I would love to see books for many computer languages titled How to read XYZ.

7 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

3 Likes

It looks like a nice subject.

My future self might enjoy if I read it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sometime I hope there will be a more systematic way to learn the technical subjects, like Oracle Certified Associate or AWS Cloud Practitioner.

Recently I found OpenJS Certification, but I have not checked the content.

3 Likes

That would be an extremely long book and it will likely end with the sentence: “That’s why we all should code in only one language”. :smiley:

3 Likes

@DevotionGeo - I read The Programmers Brain. An interesting book and yes I agree, we do need more literature and awareness on code reading.
I didn’t know about How To Read Java, as a Java developer this will definitely be in my radar now.

3 Likes

I saw on twitter that she will be writing a new book “Code Reading in Practice: Hands-on Techniques to Understand, Refactor and Improve How You Work With Code” from O’Reilly.

3 Likes

That will be a delightful book.

2 Likes