Nix: An Idea Whose Time Has Come

Nix: An Idea Whose Time Has Come.
In which I shill you Nix, a purely functional package manager.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

Nix is awesome. I’ve only messed with it in(side container) isolation, but I’m really thinking of setting it, or guix, up more system-wide. Reproducible configurable build and installs is amazing. It makes FreeBSD/Gentoo Ports look downright old in comparison while having its power. I like the language of guix better (guix and nix basically do the same thing) and some other aspects of it, but nix has a larger ecosystem (been around longer I think?).

1 Like

For everyone who learns a new language as they are munching on a cookie and drinking coffee every random day I have no doubt Nix is great. Tried it, hated the language, left in disgust. :person_shrugging:

It’s also hugely ironic they are proponents of reproducible builds and last I checked a few months ago they couldn’t even make their own stuff be reproducible… :003:

2 Likes

Try guix, it’s basically nix but with scheme as the language, I find it much nicer!

1 Like

Sure. I like LISP anyway. :slight_smile:

How is the reproducible build story?

2 Likes

Both are built around the concept of being reproducible.

1 Like

Maybe, but I’ve seen a claim on HN that Nix itself isn’t reproducibly built.

2 Likes

Nix wants to be but it knows that not all software can be so it has ways around it.

1 Like