Option type compatible with comprehensions in Elixr?

Background

I am trying to up my Functional Programming (FP) skills and one of the things that newcomers first learn in FP is the Option Type (aka, Maybe Monad).

Option what?

This construct is present in many languages, Haskell has Maybe and Java and Python (yes, Python!) have Optional.

Basically this type models a value that may or may not be there.

05_47

How it all comes down to Elixir

Most FP languages have comprehensions, Scala and Elixir have the for construct while Haskell has its famous do notation.

In Scala and Haskell, these comprehensions work not only with Enumerables (such as Lists) but also with our Option type (which is not an enumerable).

I mention this, because according to my understanding, Elixir’s comprehensions only works on Enumerables. Furthermore, as far as I know, there is not Option type datastructure in Elixir.

What does Elixir have?

Elixir has tagged tuples in the form of {:ok, val} or {:error, reason}. Now while Elixir comprehensions can pattern match with tagged tuples:

iex> values = [good: 1, good: 2, bad: 3, good: 4]
iex> for {:good, n} <- values, do: n * n
[1, 4, 16]

It also ignores values that do not pattern match:

iex> values = [good: 1, good: 2, bad: 3, good: 4]
iex> for {:bananas, n} <- values, do: n * n
[]

However, this does not replicate the behaviour of the Option type correctly. Following is an example in Scala:

for {
      validName  <- validateName(name)
      validEnd   <- validateEnd(end)
      validStart <- validateStart(start, end)
    } yield Event(validName, validStart, validEnd)

Having in mind this signatures:

def validateName(name: String): Option[String]
def validateEnd(end: Int): Option[Int]
def validateStart(start: Int, end: Int): Option[Int] 

The result of the full comprehension expression, should any function return None , will be None.

With Elixir, the bad result would be ignored and the pipeline would simply continue happily ever after.

Questions

At this point I am thinking that implement this Option type as a structure that implements the Enumerable Protocol (so it can be used in Elixir comprehensions) is something that should be possible.

However, I am not sure I want to go down that route if I can simulate similar behavior using tuples.

So I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to simulate the Option type using tagged tuples inside Elixir comprehensions?
  2. Are there any Elixir libraries in the wild that have Monadic types (like the one we saw here) usable within Elixir comprehensions? (I know about witchcraft but they have their own construct for comprehensions, which for the time being, I think is a little overkill. I am interesting in something that works with Elixir’s native comprehension functionality).
4 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes
  1. Yes, or with with if you want an else, but you’ll want to make the tagged typed be ok: value and error: reason (which is closer to a result type, but it’s a limitation of elixir tuple lists in that they are always tuples). Traditionally {:ok, value} and :error is the “option” type in Elixir, where {:ok, value} and {:error, reason} is the “result” type in Elixir.

2. Oh yes, quite a lot, I’m personally a fan of expede’s libraries if you want the full haskell/scala like interfaces. There is also another library made by the same author (not at that link) that is more simple and just works with the usual elixir/erlang forms as well.

1 Like
  1. Incredible insight! However, comprehensions are still more expressive than the with statement as they allow combination between generators. This is the main reason I am trying to learn comprehensions. with statements execute 1 function at a time, while comprehension are like nested flat_maps. They overlap in some cases, but comprehensions are extensible. I just need to understand how to harness that.
  2. I am no stranger to witchcraft, however, after many tries, I can’t get the easiest example going. It also doesn’t help that I need to use their own macros and that their types are not compatible with Elixir’s comprehension. But you claim otherwise, right? Could you please, please, please provide an example of witchcraft’s option type with Elixir’s native comprehension? (if that is possible)
2 Likes

Witchcraft uses standard names and such to access things, they don’t interact with the language comprehensions, individual types might, but as a library it doesn’t as the language comprehensions aren’t powerful enough.

1 Like

Answer

After searching for all the functional libraries Elixir has on hex, at the time of this writing none matched my main requirement:

• Being usable with Elixir comprehensions.

Some say Elixir comprehensions are not powerful enough for such cases. This is a falsifiable claim, so I decided to go ahead and try to falsify it.

Say Hi to Option.ex

Yes, the name is not inspiring. Originality has never been my forté.
But what is this?

Simply put, this is an option type for elixir, aka, Option/Maybe monad. Yes, another one.

And just like what most people coming from languages like Scala/Haskell/Python have come to know, it has a couple of subtypes Some and None.

option.ex

defmodule Option do
  @type t(elem) :: __MODULE__.Some.t(elem) | __MODULE__.None.t()

defmodule Some do
    @type t(elem) :: %__MODULE__{val: elem}

defstruct [:val]

defimpl Collectable do
      @impl Collectable
      def into(option), do: {option, fn acc, _command -> {:done, acc} end}
    end

defimpl Enumerable do
      @impl Enumerable
      def count(_some), do: {:ok, 1}

@impl Enumerable
      def member?(some, element), do: {:ok, some.val == element}

@impl Enumerable
      def reduce(some, acc, fun)

def reduce(_some, {:halt, acc}, _fun), do: {:halted, acc}
      def reduce(some, {:suspend, acc}, fun), do: {:suspended, acc, &reduce(some, &1, fun)}
      def reduce([], {:cont, acc}, _fun), do: {:done, acc}

def reduce(%Option.Some{} = some, {:cont, acc}, fun),
        do: reduce([], fun.(some.val, acc), fun)

@impl Enumerable
      def slice(_option), do: {:error, __MODULE__}
    end
  end

defmodule None do
    @type t :: %__MODULE__{}

defstruct []

defimpl Collectable do
      @impl Collectable
      def into(option) do
        {option,
         fn
           _acc, {:cont, val} ->
             %Option.Some{val: val}

acc, :done ->
             acc

_acc, :halt ->
             :ok
         end}
      end
    end

defimpl Enumerable do
      @impl Enumerable
      def count(_none), do: {:error, __MODULE__}

@impl Enumerable
      def member?(_none, _element), do: {:error, __MODULE__}

@impl Enumerable
      def reduce(none, acc, fun)

def reduce(_none, {:cont, acc}, _fun), do: {:done, acc}
      def reduce(_none, {:halt, acc}, _fun), do: {:halted, acc}
      def reduce(none, {:suspend, acc}, fun), do: {:suspended, acc, &reduce(none, &1, fun)}

@impl Enumerable
      def slice(_option), do: {:error, __MODULE__}
    end
  end

@spec new(any) :: __MODULE__.Some.t(any)
  def new(val), do: %__MODULE__.Some{val: val}

@spec new :: __MODULE__.None.t()
  def new, do: %__MODULE__.None{}
end

This works with Elixir comprehensions, and it makes use of the fact that the Optional type is a Functor. This means its main requirement is being able to be mapped over. By converting an abstract container into specific implementation detail (like lists in Elixir) I was able to make it work.

How can I use it?

The main purpose of this was to add an Option type to elixir to use with comprehensions. So a comparison to other languages is useful:

In Scala:

def parseShow(rawShow: String): Option[TvShow] = {
  for {
    name <- extractName(rawShow)
    yearStart <- extractYearStart(rawShow)
    yearEnd <- extractYearEnd(rawShow)
  } yield TvShow(name, yearEnd, yearStart)
}

In Elixir:

@spec parse_show(String.t()) :: Option.t(TvShow.t())
  def parse_show(raw_show) do
    for name <- extract_name(raw_show),
        year_start <- extract_year_start(raw_show),
        year_end <- extract_year_end(raw_show),
        into: Option.new() do
      %TvShow{name: name, year_end: year_end, year_start: year_start}
    end
  end

You will see, these two pieces of code are basically identical, with the exception of the line into: Option.new(), which is implicit in the Scala example. Elixir requires it to be explicit, which I personally prefer as well.

I could go on with examples from other languages, but they would all read basically the same. This is because comprehensions are basically the same in most FP languages.

But this doesn’t answer the full original post …

What about an Elixir equivalent in tagged tuples?

You can’t use tagged tuples to achieve the same thing using comprehensions. This is impossible.
However, if we discard comprehensions and focus on Elixir’s other constructs, we can come a little bit closer.

Quoting another prominent member of Elixir’s community, @OvermindDL1 :

Is it possible to simulate the Option type using tagged tuples inside Elixir comprehensions?

Yes, or with with if you want an else, but you’ll want to make the tagged typed be ok: value and error: reason (which is closer to a result type, but it’s a limitation of elixir tuple lists in that they are always tuples). Traditionally {:ok, value} and :error is the “option” type in Elixir, where {:ok, value} and {:error, reason} is the “result” type in Elixir.

So, if you are coming from a different setting, from a functional language into Elixir, this post and my option.ex is most certainly going to help you.

If however, you’d rather stay away from Mathematical Categories and other functional concepts like you want to stay away from the plague, with statements with other elixir’s constructs ought to serve you well enough.

One is not better than the other, they have different costs/benefits. It’s up to you. Difference is that now, you have a choice.

2 Likes