Agile Web Development with Rails 7 (PragProg)

Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single-page applications—at a fraction of the complexity. Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 7 with the new edition of this award-winning classic.

rails7-500

Sam Ruby @rubys

with Dave Thomas @pragdave

edited by Adaobi Obi Tulton @aotulton

Ruby on Rails helps you produce high-quality, beautiful-looking web applications quickly—you concentrate on creating the application, and Rails takes care of the details. Rails 7 brings many improvements, and this edition is updated to cover the new features and changes in best practices.

We start with a step-by-step walkthrough of building a real application, and in-depth chapters look at the built-in Rails features. Follow along with an extended tutorial as you write a web-based store application. Eliminate tedious configuration and housekeeping, seamlessly incorporate JavaScript, send and receive emails, manage background jobs with ActiveJob, and build real-time features using WebSockets and ActionCable. Test your applications as you write them using the built-in unit, integration, and system testing frameworks, internationalize your applications, and deploy your applications easily and securely.

Rails 1.0 was released in December 2005. This book was there from the start, and didn’t just evolve alongside Rails, it evolved with Rails. It has been developed in consultation with the Rails core team. In fact, Rails itself is tested against the code in this book.

Sam Ruby is a member of the Board of Directors of the Apache Software Foundation, previously co-chaired the W3C HTML Working Group, and has made significant contributions to many open source projects and standards.

Dave Thomas, as one of the authors of the Agile Manifesto, understands agility. As the author of Programming Ruby, he understands Ruby. And, as an active Rails developer, he knows Rails.

*Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com" at checkout :+1:

4 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

that’s great news! :smiley:

Do you have any hint when the β-book becomes available?

Cheers
Stephan

2 Likes

This book has been a classic, read the first version of it.

2 Likes

Amazing book. I like this book very much. The way the book explains the use of rails using a real project is excellent.

I hope this version will explain more the use of import_map and esbuilds.

2 Likes

I loved this book too - think the version I read was for Rails 3 or 4 but it definitely helped with a cart system for one of my earliest Rails apps.

Looking on my blog here’s what I wrote (and it was Rails 3.2!):

The book is well written and the tutorial is especially helpful if you’re interested in creating a shopping cart system. My favourite part of the book though, was part 3 – getting into the nitty gritty! I’m also very impressed with how Sam keeps this book updated for all major versions of Rails – it has just been updated to cover Rails 3.2! It’s a great book, but for this reason alone the book gets an essential rating – there aren’t many books that get updated as often as this one!

2 Likes

Will recommend this to a friend of mine, who will probably be starting a Rails project soon. Thanks for this.

2 Likes

That’s sweet!

I’ve also learned that the pickaxe book is going to be re-written. So dang good!

2 Likes

The beta announcement is going out this Wednesday, so the beta should be available to purchase by Wednesday this week. We announce a few days early to DevTalk readers. :grin:

4 Likes

Lovely. Not that I’d have run out of books… ordered the book just now. :sunglasses:

Will be nice reading what’s new in Rails 7!

Cheers
Stephan

3 Likes

The current beta is based entirely on import maps, but so far entirely behind the scenes. I’m planning to write a small example late in the book that shows how to interact with import maps directly, probably showing how to develop a web component using Lit element. And I’ll likely add a description of import maps to section 3.

Rails 7’s defaults include turbo, stimulus, and action cable; and the depot application has been updated to be just as interactive as it was in previous editions, but with minimal javascript. In fact, here is all the JS included in the book so far:

7 Likes