Being Humane in Tech - Sascha Wolf

This talk by @wolf4earth was posted in a thread about pull requests, but it warrants a thread of its own :blush:

As Sascha highlights, being compassionate can sometimes make all the difference. Life is hard enough as it is, and if you can do something to make it a little less shitty for someone who’s going through a rough time, or go that little bit further and help them forget or overcome their woes, then you’ll be making an impact on someone’s life that could have very real and profound effects.

I’m adding the sticky and diversity tags to this thread so it shows and is pinned in our Diversity portal because compassion is where it all begins, without it, we wouldn’t have seen the strides towards equality that we see today.

Thank you Sascha (and everyone else who thinks similarly) for being kind, decent human beings and a positive force in the life of others :orange_heart:

6 Likes

Hi, this is an automated message from your friendly Devtalk bot :nerd:

Please note this thread has been tagged with our diversity tag and all threads about equality and diversity have special status here on Devtalk.

This means that any threads promoting or supporting equality and diversity are only intended for those interested in supporting (or being supported) by our diversity initiative and portal. (For those who would like to ‘debate’ or comment negatively about such matters, please use an alternative platform).

A focus on equality and inclusivity has been built into the core of Devtalk, and so we have measures like this in place to help ensure this message is as clear as it can be, so that people from minority groups feel safe, and, nothing other than what they are, equals. Thank you for your understanding :blush:

:white_heart: :yellow_heart: :brown_heart: :black_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :heart:
:sparkling_heart: :orange_heart:
:rainbow_flag:

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

nice one @AstonJ !!!

2 Likes

It’s a nice talk!
I remember when I was new to coding, I genuinely wanted to contribute to an open source project I used and liked. My first pull request made little sense. Maybe that was the reason, or maybe the maintainer was actually that rude, but his response was always rude after that. Several times I tried to contribute and every time he closed the request saying nothing or after adding a rude comment like, “This is wrong”, without explaining further.
After some failed attempts I worked harder and twice made some meaningful changes, but both of the times he commented that those changes made sense but this version will only accept security fixes.
He could pull those changes just to make that newcomer (me) happy, because those pull requests were adding two small new features and weren’t breaking anything existing.
Looking back at it, it doesn’t make much sense now, but back then it meant the world to me to contribute to an open source project I actively used.

Throughout my career I mentored many students and juniors, rarely refused students or juniors asking for help with learning something or fixing broken code, but never tried to contribute to some open source project after that, except fixing some typos.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you had such a bad experience DG (you should definitely add your story to @finner’s thread too!) but you know what? Sometimes it’s the negative things that can lead to the most positive outcomes - because they give you a unique understanding and perspective; our experiences shape us into the people we become, and generally the ‘bad’ are often a catalyst for good - either in us directly or through us for others :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi @DevotionGeo - thank you for sharing. It just goes to show the importance of compassion.

3 Likes

You’re welcome and thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes