David Sinclair's new Lifespan podcast

We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the first just went out and it’s fascinating:

I think it’s going to be a hit. If you watch/listen to it I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts!

4 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

3 Likes

Episode two is out:

1 Like

It’s finally here. Wonderful. Read his book and started to fast. But I’m not consistent with fasting. I need to up my game!

2 Likes

I think the type of food you eat can help - I find high fat foods (like a nice steak) will satiate you far more than carb-heavy foods.

What is your diet like generally?

1 Like

As a child I didn’t eat that much butter. Don’t remember specifically why.

After reading The Bulletproof Diet by Dave Asprey I developed a taste for butter. I’m putting it my coffee and blend.

I eat bread a lot. Which I think doesn’t make good. But I should test it. Some day I will purchase the DNA test and other tests to find out my reactions to food. Some of the tests David mentioned in his book.

I don’t avoid fats now. But when I eat meat like ship meat it has slabs of fat. This is I avoid purely because I can’t stand the texture. In general you could say that I’m the texture guy in regards to food. For that reason, I don’t eat most species of mushroom. There are a couple I really enjoy.

Recently started drinking Chaga tea. Absolutely wonderful beverage. The taste is very specific. I find it refreshing.

And Chaga is a really good prophylactic for cancer. I didn’t know that, but Solzhenitsyn, of the famous Russian authors, cured cancer with Chaga. Not solely with Chaga though. He went thought a treatment and Chaga helped to eradicate the negative effects.

I don’t like pasta. Not that I hate, I’m just not particularly fond of it.

I have a weakness though. I enjoy candy, probably a bit too much. I cut it down though.

2 Likes

Yeah carby things like bread and pasta I’m not big on either, won’t avoid it, but won’t get it.

Toddler/daughter loves butter though, she’d eat it straight if we let her… ^.^;

1 Like

Butter is great - clarified butter is better :003:

If you are going to have bread, try making your own sourdough bread - I made that for years but don’t have grains anymore. I used Rye and Spelt to make the starter, and then 50% Spelt and 50% wholemeal wheat flour to make the bread. If you need tips, @Rainer might be able to give you some :lol: Does anyone have any other skills - such as carpentry? - #12 by Rainer (not sure if he’s started on Sourdough yet tho)

Yeeessss, though a bit of a pain to make, lol.

And yeah, if I’m going to have bread it needs actual flavor like those, and good stuff to put on them.

1 Like

How about Ghee? You can probably buy it near you and your daughter might go bananas over it since the taste is like, hmm, like butter times butter. Have you tried?

There are health benefits claimed but they might be merely chimerical.

2 Likes

Yes I did :wink:

2 Likes

I have seen ghee in the store but it’s a lot more expensive then processing it myself from butter, even if it is a ton of work, lol. We buy butter by the multiple pounds, and it’s used just as fast, we use way too much butter… ^.^;

(We get these large blocks of butter from amish makers locally)

2 Likes

Episode 3 is out:

I have simplified and perfected the technique :003:

How to make clarified butter

• Get two packets of (unpasteurised) butter and put them in a preserving jar (just a glass jar with a top) and then put that on a radiator or a yoghurt maker/heater that isn’t too hot.
  • After a good few hours the milk solids will fall to the bottom leaving you with the clarified butter at the top (you’ll spot the difference as the milk at the bottom is white and the top will be translucent gold colour).
  • Put in the fridge and as you use it and once you use enough of it, the milk at the bottom can be poured out.

I have tried various ways to make it and this is by far the best :023:

I have made ghee a few times but am not fussed on the taste - tho maybe I was making it wrong as the instructions in your link say it needs to be on a low heat whereas I had simmered it on a low heat. To me ghee (that I’ve made anyway) tastes a bit like butter you’ve cooked with - I much prefer the taste of clarified butter the way I make it above. I highly recommend trying my method :smiley:

Where are the pics Rainer!? :upside_down_face:

I wish we had some around here! I am going to look for RAW milk too - unfortunately you can only buy that direct from a farm as it is illegal for supermarkets to sell it! I get this which is the next best thing.

1 Like

Ooo, not a bad idea at all, wonder how well that removes the burnable solids from it, hmmm…

The point of clarified butter to me has always been about its substantially higher burn/smoke point, where normal butter burns really fast.

And yeah, my area here is full of ranchers, lol.

1 Like

If you do it for long enough and at the right temp, you are left with the golden translucent fat - most of the methods (like this one) leave you something murky, but my way is much much more translucent. The trick is making sure it’s a very low heat, just above enough to melt it at a consistent rate over a long period.

You have to give it a go :023:

1 Like

Already since 2020 in the thread you already linked :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But ok, here’s something new: I made panettone (Italian christmas cake with sourdough):

It’s super fluffy:

4 Likes

I am going more and more towards a plant-based diet. I’m almost finished reading How Not To Die by Dr. Michael Greger. This book is packed with info. They also developed an app called The Daily Dozen and I’m using that along with the book to get new foods into my routine. It seems to be working.
@AstonJ - I finally got a copy of The Longevity Diet and will let you know later in the year how that is. I will add Lifespan to my wish-list. And now going to listen to episode 1 of the podcast :grin:
Meanwhile, here is Sinclair on Rich Roll’s podcast

2 Likes

I am not convinced yet Finner - when David was questioned about it on a podcast in 2019 some of the answers he gave seemed a bit woolly imo, one of his main reasons stating that his daughter is a strict vegetarian and he’s tired of her nagging him and that he thinks it’s better for the planet. He seemed a little annoyed on being pressed on it, but it was a great interview overall and probably the only one I’ve seen where people are actually debating or disagreeing with some of his points.

Here’s the clip:

Worth watching from the beginning :023:

Also this AMA with Saladino is worth watching towards the end (once you’ve watched all of David’s lifespan podcasts and the one above): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alMhM5kq2qQ

What is it about Finner? What were your main takeaways from it?

Nice! Let us know how you get on - to I think Lifespan is a little bit outdated now, you could probably get most of it (and updated) through his podcasts :smiley:

Personally I am continuing my carnivore experiments, but I definitely did pretty well on a paleo diet with plenty of veg too - so for me at least the jury is still out there :003:

1 Like

The real issue is not whether we are plant-based, vegetarian, vegan or whatever, the real issue is that we are very sick. We eat bad food, do very little exercise, we are unnecessarily over medicated and this combination leads to obesity, heart problems, mental problems, diabetes, cancers and many other illnesses.
And because we do things in the extreme our solutions tend to be extreme. 100% plant based, 100% meat, no gluten, only fish, etc. Those of us interested in making dietary changes know there is something fundamentally wrong with our nutritional intake but we don’t know how to address it. So we try out some of these popular diets. I personally do not care what diet people choose. It is a personal decision. We just need to get better at eating proper food.
Lifestyle changes around food and exercise can help combat illnesses, strengthen our immune systems and make us healthier.
How Not To Die presents the science, in layman’s terms, on the benefits of eating more “whole foods” which are mainly plants. But the key is “whole foods”. We have to reduce, if not eliminate, the industrial processed junk we eat. So the main take-away for me is to have a good balance of proper natural food. If we can cut the junk and processed crap out of our daily lives I believe we would be living in a very different world. We are addicted to salt and sugar. It’s not good. Our industrial food systems are failing us.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good quality burger or pizza and a few strong beers. I’m also a big fan of biscuits. So I know I am addicted to sugar and salt and I’m trying to reduce both. This book is helping me move in that direction.
The book is surprisingly easy to read and packed with so much information. The guy knows a lot! It is worth a read if you are interested in making changes to what you eat.
With regards to Sinclair, I’ve started to listen to his podcast and we’ll chat about his work in a different thread.

2 Likes

Every January I have a “no sugar” challenge with some friends, and it’s really surprisingly hard.
It’s not allowed to use sugar, and when using processed food one should check how much sugar it contains, if it’s more than 5% it’s not allowed. It’s always surprising how much food is over this 5%, even if we see no reason why it should contain sugar.
This year I took a cheat-day (as my mother brought a birthday cake for me), and it felt so overly sweet it was almost difficult to eat, showing how accustomed to sweet taste we usually are.

There are so many diets, I’m keeping it simple for me: Whenever possible avoid highly processed food, instead I’m cooking a lot by myself with fresh ingrediences. This year I want to grow more vegetables by myself, last year I already had zucchini, broccoli, tomatos and some herbs :slight_smile:

2 Likes