Advent of Code 2021

Hello folks! We had a pretty fun thread here around the same time last year - talking about Advent of Code problems. That also happened to be the first (and only so far) year I solved all Advent of Code problems on time and did not lazy myself out of it.

So, it is still a few days more to go, but wanted to open up a thread on it again and bring back the friends, old and new to tackle the puzzles in a language (or more) of choice!

I’ll be doing some “warm-up” exercises when I have some time and start a conversation around them early on.

Looking forward to December 1 and talking with y’all!

5 Likes

This year, I intend to link back to any interesting discussions we get around solving a day’s problem to this link (both in my repository or tweets). I usually solve my problems in Elixir and this year may not be different, however, I also came to learn and love F# recently so I might alternate between these two languages.

Here are my repositories:

Elixir

code-shoily/advent_of_code: Advent of Codes with Elixir [2015 ~ 2020] (github.com)

F#

code-shoily/AdventOfCode: Advent of Code Solutions with F# and C# (github.com)

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

I’d like to take part again, but I think this year I can’t find any time for it…
Not sure if I’d solve in Elixir or again Erlang, as these days I spent more time coding in Elixir.

3 Likes

I must admit, your Erlang code is super clean. I still remember some of the codes you shared last year and getting surprised with a “huh, Erlang is readable even to untrained eyes” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thanks, always trying to keep it nice and clean, no matter the language :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had that motto, until I got a job involving PHP for a year. Still recovering.

3 Likes

my condolence, wish you good recovery :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Just in time! I have been doing the exercises Exercism added to v2 to make v3, and frankly it’s been a bit frustrating having to submit solutions to trivial ones, much simpler than the ones I already did (all of v2), in order to unlock any further exercises. Advent of Code should present me a bit more of a challenge. Might not be able to do the first several days on time, though, due to a vacation with relatives.

3 Likes

What’s your weapon of choice this year?

3 Likes

D’oh sorry, I had in mind but didn’t make clear, I mean specifically Elixir.

It’s also good timing career-wise as I’ve recently wrapped up my latest contract, and am now semi-retired, not actively chasing any hands-on work EXECEPT in Elixir. This will help me sharpen up.

3 Likes

Awesome. Will be looking forward to discuss Elixir solutions with you! I am also working on a repository for implementing text-book data structures and algorithms with Elixir, sort of as a supplement to the AoC problems. Let’s see how that goes. I may seek some advice from you later on once I start hitting the harder/more-mutation-friendly algorithms.

2 Likes

Also today I learned: TryHackMe | Advent of Cyber | TryHackMe

I am not into security as much but it looks interesting.

2 Likes

I am thinking of using Clojure to solve this year’s problems. It’s been a while I wrangled parentheses to solve problems! I will be brushing up on my Clojure skills in the mean time.

2 Likes

Well, then maybe also LFE would be worth a try? :wink:

4 Likes

You know what, it’s actually a great idea. I’ll try learning that. How is the interactive development with it like? Editor support?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I’ve got absolutely no idea :smiley:
The experts are over there: LFE Forum - Erlang Forums

3 Likes

Yes saw that. I was surprised to know about SICP version of LFE as well. But looks like I will stick to Elixir this year too. What I started as a “warm-up” before AoC ended up being too much fun for me to be continuing, this will try to keep that as a sister project and alias libraries as needed.

2 Likes

A friend of mine was telling me if we’d do a live coding session on solving problems together in two different languages (He’s big on OCaml, me Elixir), I think I might try that out :smiley: Just discuss while code and then share the solutions. Not sure how that would play out.

Tagging @yawaramin - the aforementioned friend :smiley:

3 Likes

Do it Mafinar :lol:

1 Like