Designing the worst programming language

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t watched it all but Intercal asking you to say please :lol:

1 Like

Lol, heā€™s designing a language that ā€œlooksā€ reasonable on first look but is full of the worst patterns and features of the popular languages, and at the time of the video (2014) it already had two compilers made for it. ^.^

UTF-256, lol.
Oh and C-style macroā€™s that are regex matchers! Glorious! ^.^

1 Like

I was actually thinking earlier, that despite the billions giants like Apple, Google and Microsoft have, none them of them have come up with the ā€˜perfectā€™ language yet :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Because it already exists, itā€™s Lisp. ^.^

Lol

4 Likes

Experience with Languages That Shall Not Be Named (as Iā€™m sure weā€™ve all got our ā€œfavoritesā€) shows that itā€™s not hard at all to hide gotchas in features. Indeed the hard part is avoiding it. So, designing the worst reasonable-seeming language ought to be like falling off a log! As for compilers, remember there are ones out there for a plethora of joke languages like Whitespace, Befunge, Malbolge, Brainfuck, and so on. (The jokier the language, in certain ways, the easier a compiler, or at least transpiler, seems.) So, no surprise there either.

So, for those who did spend an hour watching thatā€¦ TL;DR?

2 Likes

Basically just designing a language that looks completely reasonable like businesses would actually use, but take the worst features of other popular languages and twist them to be even worse, itā€™s glorious and well worth the watch, lol.

1 Like

Ah, this talk is meant to be satire, I thought itā€™s a documentation about how many programming languages are developed :smiley:

3 Likes

Lol, nope, entirely satire. ^.^

1 Like

I have always thought of ā€œfavorite languagesā€ being languages that have the shortcomings that we are most willing to overlook :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes
1 Like