Selecting a programming language can be a form of premature optimization

Selecting a programming language can be a form of premature optimization.
Have you ever been told that Python couldn’t be used for a project because it wouldn’t be fast enough? I have, and I find it a bit frustrating as big banks, YouTube, Instagram, and plenty of other places that are performance-sensitive still manage to select Python and be happy. And

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

That title attracted me. This is something I always tell people!

2 Likes

However, here is a competing take on this ideas presented…

Sometimes when you do the opposite, i.e. select language based on productivity and easy to use, you may get stuck with code written by it that is not well written, maybe due to folks new to the language who were experimenting with it (and subsequently left the company) or folks just new to programming.

This could start accummulating tech debts and people tend to add patches (thereby letting the underlying software rot) than rewriting. So an eventual pile of debt that gets very difficult to pay off.

I am not saying this will not happen in hard to learn languages, but languages like Python and JavaScript are more prone to it due to their perceived newcomer friendliness and productivity with a ceiling.

2 Likes

This is a big thing. I tend to pick languages that will minimize the amount of bugs I have by their design, because that means my code is more likely to “just work” without needing to futz with a lot of things ‘after’ the code is written to get it into a stable state.

3 Likes

in my case it’s Php, which it’s my fault for procrastination.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m actually on the fence about creating a browser mmo in Elixir cause someone in a Discord server told me Elixir “sucks”, it’s slow,old and is no longer used by any real tech companies.

1 Like

Which community was that and what language are they using themselves?

1 Like

Don’t remember now but doing a search on the channel at the time shows it was something brought up often. I think it was a C/C++ discord of some sort. I no longer am a member and lost the invite link. Can Elixir do something similar to KoL?

2 Likes

It’s tasty because Discord uses Elixir under the hood.

2 Likes

Is it more of a utility thing or is it part of the core system? I ask because I am wondering how effective Elixir is in certain web technology.

2 Likes

This article is very good.

And as far as I know, it uses Rust for video encoding/decoding.

2 Likes

Closer to the metal = greater machine efficiency but may be inversely proportional to programmer efficiency to develop. 🥸

2 Likes

Except Rust, which is second on that and is extremely efficient for programmers to use. ^.^

3 Likes