Is there a vanilla CSS alternative to Tailwind UI?

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

What about just vanilla css? You can do a lot with flex box and css grid now. For me the biggest advantage of css frameworks were that they took care of browser capability and especially of older browsers… now you don’t need to worry about that so much.

Having said that these seem to be popular searches:

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 21.21.26

3 Likes

Yes, CSS has come very far, and it’s a lot easier to style a page today than it was 10 years ago, but it can’t beat the ease of copying and pasting few elements which result in a perfectly styled page, designed by some very talented designer.

If I find some vanilla CSS UI which is as good as tailwind UI, I’ll share it here.

2 Likes

Give Bulma a go? I watched the video and it looks pretty good :023: (think we need a thread for it too!)

2 Likes

I’ve used Bulma in the past. It’s a very good CSS framework.

2 Likes

What bugs me most about most “modern CSS” things is that they have an annoying tendency to have a lot of features backed by javascript when it is entirely unnecessary and harmful to the experience to do so… That’s why I primarily use my own set of CSS.

6 Likes

When I think of something simple Tachyons come to mind.

3 Likes

Tachyons is nice, and it’s free! :+1:

2 Likes

Tachyons also looks like it has a javascript part and that its CSS is also basically just CSS in name form, that doesn’t seem terribly well designed? Like from it’s home page first example of .f1 { font-size: 3rem; }, that name f1 doesn’t tell what it is for, it just says what it does, you are baking in styling into the HTML doing that, instead of using well formed names that describe what something is so that the CSS can then style it appropriately.

3 Likes